The best shippers?

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.

The best shippers?

Postby GLASSART » July 6th, 2021, 11:02 am

_ASC0046.JPGHi All,
I would like to get some input as reagards shipping our finished products mugs,cups items breakable.
I have been shipping UPS only because my customers have accounts with them and they send me
the shipping lable for the boxes.

I have a items break in shipping and UPS takes the attitude "We didn't pack it so we won't pay for it, or not packed well enough!"

I had refurbished a 1903 candy scale (see pictures) sold it on Ebay and it was obviosly dropped and to say the least it was runied.
I packed it very well and bought extra insurance which they tell me after the fact doesn't cover breakage, just loss of the item.

What method of shipping do others use, Post Office, FedEx?
It's getting to the point that I'm not going to ship multible items.
The last two shippments to the same customer of 8 cases of mugs 6 broke .
Again I packed them and put "GLASS" STICKERS ON THEM"

When I ship One -Ofs with the post office they arrive fine.

Any help would be apprecited Bob @ Glass Art
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GLASSART

Re: The best shippers?

Postby VARMINT » July 6th, 2021, 7:55 pm

I have had MUCH more good results with USPS. For the last several years, the only breakage claims I got were from shady customers!
Just my 2 scents-AAAA.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VARMINT

Postby David Takes » July 8th, 2021, 8:25 am

UPS and FedEx have clear guidelines as to how to pack items to be eligible for filing a claim. I make sure I pack accordingly. If you follow those guidelines you will be eligible to file a claim. UPS will not have any ground to stand on. The challenge is that there will be times that a customer will dispose of outer packaging before they get to the point where they discover the breakage. At that point the replacements will be out of your pocket. That is why I always have a replacement cost factor built into my overhead when determining my margins for pricing. I ship a fair amount of crystal and glass with rare breakage issues. For 2020 and 2021 I have had zero breakage. Filing a claims in the past has been hit or miss in terms of the difficulty of the process, but not too bad overall. The moral of the story is to pack according to UPS guidelines and you should be fine.

One additional idea might be to take a picture of each package before you seal it up. This could aid you in your efforts to file a claim at a later date. There are some companies that record video of their staff packing product for shipping. Each shipment has a timestamp that aids them in locating the part of the video that shows that the package was packed properly. I do like this idea.
Last edited by David Takes on July 9th, 2021, 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
David Takes
Expressions Engraved
St. Joseph, Missouri
David Takes

Postby GLASSART » July 9th, 2021, 2:36 pm

Thanks Dave great tips! Bob
GLASSART

Return to Can we Talk !