• Advertisement

Removing chips/scratches from flat glass plate

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Removing chips/scratches from flat glass plate

Postby Sammy » August 1st, 2010, 8:37 am

Hi group.
I'm not sure this is the place for this topic.
I'm giving (like usual) my next door neighbors their portrait in a halftone their wedding anniversary. It is all done but I just realized that their is a little chip/scratch in the glass where this no etching. It is very little (like a dot about .015" wide) but with the lighted glass, it is VERY obvious.
Can that be removed easily????
Thank you
Sammy
Sammy

Re: Removing chips/scratches from flat glass plate

Postby Ginger » August 1st, 2010, 8:47 am

I'm glad you asked that question, Sammy, because I've been wondering the same thing.
My studio includes: Denver glass kiln, Skutt ceramics kiln, Jen-Ken kiln, compressor, sandblast setup, lap grinder, two ring saws, hand-held water-fed grinder, plotter, UV exposure unit. I work in glass, concrete, clay, metal, and stone.
Ginger

Postby NikkiInMd » August 1st, 2010, 9:17 am

A while back I purchased a glass polishing kit from either Etchmaster or Ikonics. I have not used it yet but it supposed to remove fine scratches.
NikkiInMd

Postby Ginger » August 1st, 2010, 10:47 am

I wonder if just some cerium oxide on a wet piece of soft fabric would do it. I know that you can polish glass all the way from rough sawn to a high polish by hand if you want it bad enough!
My studio includes: Denver glass kiln, Skutt ceramics kiln, Jen-Ken kiln, compressor, sandblast setup, lap grinder, two ring saws, hand-held water-fed grinder, plotter, UV exposure unit. I work in glass, concrete, clay, metal, and stone.
Ginger

Postby Dennis » August 1st, 2010, 11:49 am

To get rid of it totally, you have to remove glass so it shows a little if polished out. Best way is a felt and cerium but how will that affect the etched area.
A rule of thumb I use, if my fingernail can catch it, in the right light, you will always be able to see it. In leaded panels, in door, do it again, in transom, it will be polished and installed.
Then again, if you can not see it from 3 foot, no charge for the scratches.
Dennis Swan
Dennis

Postby Ginger » August 1st, 2010, 2:34 pm

Sounds like a good rule of thumb, Dennis. Thanks for the info.
Ginger
Ginger

Return to Can we Talk !