• Advertisement

Backing Up Fonts/Files

• Advertisement

Backing Up Fonts/Files

Postby Kelly Harris » July 23rd, 2017, 6:26 am

I've been using OneDrive (cloud storage) to back up files for quite a while now. Since I started using it, I haven't been backing up to my own external hard drive. I figure, what are the chances that my computer and OneDrive could go down at the same time? Is this a mistake? If so, can someone help me out with my external drive, to make sure I'm doing it correctly?

Now, since I started using OneDrive, I haven't been backing up my fonts because I can't figure out how to do it. I know, not very smart on my part. Is anyone familiar with OneDrive or any cloud storage that knows how to do this?
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Re: Backing Up Fonts/Files

Postby Engraver » August 10th, 2017, 6:41 pm

I have a RAID 0 (mirror) system where there are 2 of the exact same hard drives. Each hard drive is an exact duplicate (files, operating system, etc) of the other. If one hard drive fails the other takes it's place (no down time). You can then replace the failed hard drive with another and the RAID system will rebuild the new drive to duplicate the current operating drive. On top of that I do a daily file system back up and and a complete system image backup (3 times a month) to 2 external hard drives. Additionally, I have a duplicate system I just built..... for you know....just in case.

If ya can't tell, I don't like being down especially if a deadline has to be met.
Kevin Coughlin
Signs from Above
607 -652-503 9
Jefferson, NY 12093
http://www.SignsFromAboveOnline.Com
www.facebook/signsfromabove
Engraver

Postby Kelly Harris » August 11th, 2017, 6:13 am

Thank you Kevin. Time to do some more research.
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby Charles » August 11th, 2017, 7:00 am

I back up my sales contracts, my layouts, artwork, company letterheads & forms all to Google drive....from there it sycs to 3 computers or however many you wish to have the google drive app on, for me 2 laptops and a desk top....every time the laptop or desk top is booted it does a sync with google drive as well as every 6 hours I think....manually place the folders in the google drive folder on the desk top, it will sync with cloud then when the laptops comes on they look and sync up ....So I have 4 copies . And so far I havnt outgrown googles "Free" storage space.

This allows me access to my files where ever I have an internet connection
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby Engraver » August 11th, 2017, 8:08 am

I have toooooo many MB's to upload anything with a hughesnet satelite system. The Price for "out in the boonies" that you pay. Although I hear they may run cable sometime in the future. Am also limited to how much bandwith I can use per month (which isn't much). Besides I like physical drives not something that may or may not be floating in a "cloud" somewhere. Additionally, I take 1 of my backups with me so that there is always a copy outside of the shop. You know....just in case.
With the exception of the file back-up system - all my other back-ups are images of the hard drive so when restored - everything was just like it was when the back-up was made from operating system to programs and all settings that were in place. I use Acronis for my image back-ups and have to restore them several times for a variety of reasons and have not had a problem yet. It's like magic. :B:
Kevin Coughlin
Signs from Above
607 -652-503 9
Jefferson, NY 12093
http://www.SignsFromAboveOnline.Com
www.facebook/signsfromabove
Engraver

Return to Corel Draw/Graphics Suite