• Advertisement

Corel Contour Issue

• Advertisement

Corel Contour Issue

Postby jjackson » February 15th, 2015, 2:27 pm

A customer's logo was composed of lines and circles. The artwork was small, but I scanned it and the easiest solution seemed to be to just re-draw it using the scanned image as a guide. This part was done in about 5 minutes, not really a complex logo.

I converted to curves, set the line weight to 8 point and it was printing fine, but when I sent to the plotter it would only see the lines, as if they were all hairlines.
before contour.jpg

A bit of googling told me I needed to use Contour, but I could not seem to get the contour to do a good job particularly on the inside.
contour.jpg

In the end the fastest solution was to save as a bitmap, then use autotrace on the bitmap to get a vector drawing. The job is done and delivered, but so I do not have this problem next time can someone tell me what I should have done?

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Jackson
thingsmade.ca
Russell, Ontario
jjackson

Re: Corel Contour Issue

Postby Terry W » February 15th, 2015, 3:50 pm

John there may be another way in Corel but I don't know it. What I do if i have to make wide lines (8 pt) like your doing is to convert outline to object. However in corel this sometimes gives you a double line if you had a fill color. This makes your cutter cut twice. If your draw a wide line using the pen tool it makes the outline and a center line that you have to brake apart and delete or it will also cut the center line.

Also your cutter will only cut hair lines. It will not cut a wide line as you wish. If your only drawing say an 8 pt line corel will only see the center line unless you convert it. When you draw anything wider than hair line it makes a center and then just adds the width to that. If you just go to change the line you will grab a node on the center line unless you convert it first.

I don't know if any of the other software out there will automatically convert everything for you or not.
I have been doing that way for a while so it's not a big deal to me but if you don't know your way around corel it can sometimes be frustrating as you don't know why your getting double cuts etc.

With that drawing it is simple enough that an autotrace may be clean enough. If not, you could also try drawing the elements and welding together. Sometimes this will eliminate the centers unless they are combined.

I would suggest drawing that design as separate items (cross, circle, etc) then overlap as in the logo. Now grab them all and you will see some options (weld, trim, intersect, etc) Click them and see what the difference in each on is. This will give you a better grasp on what some of them will do.

There are also a ton of tutorial vids on Y tube.

Hope that helps you a little.

Feel free to ask more questions.
Terry
Terry W

Postby kuluchicken » February 15th, 2015, 4:41 pm

Terry gave a brilliant explanation. That is about as far as my knowledge goes as well.
kuluchicken

Postby kuluchicken » February 15th, 2015, 4:53 pm

I think I may have got you a step further. Play around with contours...contour each item individually. Break the items apart. Then click on the line that you want to show and then the one that you want to 'cut' with it and click on "trim". Do that on a line by line basis until you have the cutting lines left that you want. Work in wire frame to see what's happening.

That should work. I'm also still feeling my way around Corel :)
kuluchicken

Postby jjackson » February 15th, 2015, 5:52 pm

Thanks!

The first batch were destined for clear coffee mugs, and since the lines were thin and the logo small (i.e. no wide frosted areas) I did them on my laser, which used the 8 pt line as a raster.

The guys wife calls me up and says "You do rocks too, right? I can I get his logo on a rock for a Valentines Day gift for tomorrow?" I said yes of course and got into trouble when I went from laser to plotter!
John Jackson
thingsmade.ca
Russell, Ontario
jjackson

Postby Terry W » February 15th, 2015, 7:25 pm

Michelle the trim function in corel doesn't always play nice. Very often it will give you a double line. Meaning if you have a square, and overlap a circle now hit trim. Brake them apart and you have 2 closed items not one closed and the other with lines just going to the edge of the first item.

There is a neat little function (I believe it started in Corel x5) call the "virtual segment delete". You can find it in the crop menu on the left side.

This trims the line to the adjoining intersection. Perfect for plotter cutters. No overlapping/double lines.
Terry
Terry W

Postby kuluchicken » February 15th, 2015, 10:00 pm

Awesome Terry...thanks for that. I often sit with overlapping lines and never knew how I created them. I've used the virtual segment delete but never realized how amazing it is for our purposes. Thanks so much!!!
kuluchicken

Postby Kelly Harris » February 16th, 2015, 7:52 am

This is what I did if it makes any sense, let me know if it doesn't.

Graphic1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby jjackson » February 16th, 2015, 8:29 am

Thanks Kelly - this really helps!
John Jackson
thingsmade.ca
Russell, Ontario
jjackson

Postby Kelly Harris » February 16th, 2015, 12:57 pm

Not a problem, I learned from the best (Tom Kuhn) and am glad to pass on his knowledge! Also learned a lot from this site http://www.coreldrawtips.com/site/node/1 and I'd follow along recreating what he's doing.
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Next

Return to Corel Draw/Graphics Suite