• Advertisement

Corel Draw vs. Illustrator

• Advertisement

Corel Draw vs. Illustrator

Postby jjackson » March 26th, 2013, 3:50 am

I recently got an order for 500 bumper stickers. I am not in the bumper sticker business, but word is out that I bought a plotter for sandcarving and people are asking "can you make this for me?", so now I make bumper stickers. I have no intention of doing 500 bumper stickers -- I will sub it out to a printing company.

While working with the printing company they commented that my vectorized logo was not very good. I knew that - it was auto traced from a low res image off the web site as a placeholder until I got better quality artwork from the customer. The person at the printing company commented that I really should be using Adobe Illustrator.

My plotter and my engraving software both have plug-ins for both Corel Draw and Illustrator, so that does not make a big difference. I know this can be a bit of Coke vs. Pepsi, but I was wondering if anyone here had a comment as to which program was a better investment of time to learn.
John Jackson
thingsmade.ca
Russell, Ontario
jjackson

Re: Corel Draw vs. Illustrator

Postby Tom Kuhn » March 26th, 2013, 5:50 am

John, my personal opinion (and it's worth everything you're paying for it).... use what you know and enjoy. Corel DRAW and Adobe Illustrator are both vector drawing programs, and have similar features. They both have capabilities far beyond what is required for Sandcarving and cutting vinyl. In other words, either CorelDRAW or Adobe Illustrator will meet your needs just fine.

I've been a Corel user since version 2.54 so I'm partial to it, but there are plenty that swear by Illustrator. I do think that the pricing structure of Corel's product line is a little more competitive than Adobe's. The last upgrades I've gotten for Corel Graphics Suite have been $179, with a new purchase price of $399. Adobe CS looks like it's into 4 digits.

The only place Adobe has a real advantage IMHO is that their file format (AI) has become a de facto standard, however Corel's import/export filters are good enough I've never had a problem exchanging files between the two product lines.

The people at the printing company were talking partially out of arrogance and partially out of ignorance. Switching to AI isn't going to magically increase the quality of the graphic. The quality of the graphic is directly related to the person beyond the keyboard and both Corel and Adobe should be able to faithfully recreate that image.

Image   Software Engineer & Webmaster
Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Postby jjackson » March 26th, 2013, 7:05 am

Thanks!

I understand Error 18(the problem is 18 inches in front of the keyboard...) and I have to get better at which ever program I go forward with.

Right now I know maybe 4% of Corel Draw but 0% of Illustrator, and if that was all I would lean towards Corel. But another factor is that I feel that PhotoShop is also becoming one of those programs you can't do without, and Photoshop and Illustrator are bundled and would presumably share learning curve. Technically, since I am taking some college courses, I can get the CS6 package for about $300 Canadian.

Since you are a Corel Draw user, what do you use for image editing?

There must be a million tutorials out there, is there any preferred spot for learning Corel Draw, specifically cleaning up vectors after using Auto Trace?
John Jackson
thingsmade.ca
Russell, Ontario
jjackson

Postby Kelly Harris » March 26th, 2013, 7:58 am

I honestly don't remember why I chose Corel over Illustrator but I'm enjoying Corel even though I probably use only a small fraction of what it's capable of. This site http://coreldrawtips.com/site/node/1 is my favourite. Corel Graphics Suite comes with a photo editing program called PHOTO-PAINT.
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Return to Corel Draw/Graphics Suite