• Advertisement

Please Help Corel vector Question

• Advertisement

Re: Please Help Corel vector Question

Postby jimmy21 » November 28th, 2012, 6:04 pm

i can't see what your vector looked like. I don't know if this is any better than yours

bamboo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimmy21

Postby jeffwerfree » November 28th, 2012, 10:23 pm

Thanks Jess, I will most definitely post pics of the finished product. I just had my computer cleaned by a pro and the tool in Corel work much better now. I'm getting lots of good practice.
jeffwerfree

Postby Tom Kuhn » November 29th, 2012, 8:46 am

Jeff, after going back and re-reading your original post a 3rd time, I think I see what you're doing and I am sure that the VSD tool would take a long time for each use. Remember, it has to evaluate the entire polygon and your addition to find out what to keep/delete and the original polygon has a BUNCH of nodes to evaluate.

I've found that I have better luck in cleaning up the raster image BEFORE tracing. I can get a much better/cleaner tracing and they require much less clean-up effort if my initial efforts are directed at making the raster image better.

One thing I've found when working with "marginal" artwork as your original, if I take the color mask tool, and select a mask of the black (and dark gray) areas, then using the MASK tools, I can expand the mask (or grow it) one pixel at a time. This will eliminate the pin-holes in the middle of the black area which SHOULD have been black but were spattered with white dots, and it will "fill-in" the irregularities in the edges. Once the edges are better, I then reduce the mask back the same number of pixels I grew it to begin with. I will then use the MASK/SMOOTH tool to help eliminate some of the "jaggies" from low resolution, and once I have a decent mask, I'll paint the entire bitmap BLACK, then reverse the mask and paint the background WHITE. After that, removing the mask, and saving that file will give you a much better chance at a decent automated tracing.

I should probably do a quick video on the process some time to help explain it.

Image   Software Engineer & Webmaster
Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Postby jeffwerfree » November 29th, 2012, 10:24 am

Jimmy, That looks great. What methods did you use to clean the image? It will probably trace much better. Tom, I may have to read your post a few times to understand it as I'm still experiencing the learning curve of the program, but definitely will give it give it a whirl. I also watched a video on Benvista Photozoom for cleaning up the jagged edges. Does anyone have any experience with this program? Should I get it or is it unnecessary?

This forum is awesome, thanks everyone for your help :ty:
jeffwerfree

Postby Tom Kuhn » November 29th, 2012, 11:00 am

jeffwerfree wrote: I also watched a video on Benvista Photozoom for cleaning up the jagged edges. Does anyone have any experience with this program? Should I get it or is it unnecessary?

Jeff, if you have CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5 and not JUST CorelDRAW X5 you have the Photozoom plug-in. Should you get/use it? Well, I believe there's a number of members on the forum that are regular users of the process now. Nothing will make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but this will at least make it Nylon or Polyester... It goes a long way. Here's how to access it:
PZP.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Postby jimmy21 » November 29th, 2012, 11:20 am

jeffwerfree wrote:Jimmy, That looks great. What methods did you use to clean the image? It will probably trace much better. Tom, I may have to read your post a few times to understand it as I'm still experiencing the learning curve of the program, but definitely will give it give it a whirl. I also watched a video on Benvista Photozoom for cleaning up the jagged edges. Does anyone have any experience with this program? Should I get it or is it unnecessary?

This forum is awesome, thanks everyone for your help :ty:

i took it in photoshop and cleaned up the straight lines real quick, didn't spend much time on it at all. Then i did an autotrace in illustrator. I posted the vector in .AI format. Let me know if you want it in a different format or if i can help any further.
jimmy21

Postby jeffwerfree » November 29th, 2012, 3:20 pm

Tom, I'm having trouble understanding your method using color mask. There is a 'tolerance' function, but I'm unclear on how to expand/ grow the mask. Also, it turns out that I do have photozoom ( I was considering buying it :DOH: ) I just had to register to get the unlock key. Anyhow, it's another new tool to learn.
jeffwerfree

Postby Tom Kuhn » December 3rd, 2012, 4:05 pm

jeffwerfree wrote:Tom, I'm having trouble understanding your method using color mask. There is a 'tolerance' function, but I'm unclear on how to expand/ grow the mask. Also, it turns out that I do have photozoom ( I was considering buying it :DOH: ) I just had to register to get the unlock key. Anyhow, it's another new tool to learn.

Jeff, just put up a little video tutorial demonstrating the process HERE

Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Postby Kelly Harris » December 3rd, 2012, 7:31 pm

Thanks Tom!
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby jeffwerfree » December 3rd, 2012, 9:25 pm

Thank you so much Tom. I couldn't ask for a more detailed explanation. I will definitely use this.

Edit: I must add that it's pretty cool that you took the opportunity to help in a way that will help so many other people. :ty:
Last edited by jeffwerfree on December 3rd, 2012, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffwerfree

PreviousNext

Return to Corel Draw/Graphics Suite