• Advertisement

Please Help Corel vector Question

• Advertisement

Please Help Corel vector Question

Postby jeffwerfree » November 28th, 2012, 1:06 pm

T bamboo final bitmap.cdr
I've been working on a project for a client for three days now with little progress and was wondering if there is a quicker way to do this. The photoshop image has been approved and the doors have been delivered and now it is my job to vectorize the image in Coreldraw x5 so it can be transferred to the vinyl cutter.

When I vectorized the image I was not happy with how sqiggley the edges looked so I've been redrawing them with the 'bezier' tool and using the 'virtual segment delete' tool to delete the old squiggley lines.

The problem that I'm having is with the 'virtual segment delete' tool. It is very very slow, taking from 10-30 seconds per line. Is there a faster way of doing this? Is my computer slow? I'm using a 2-core Toshiba running vista if that info is needed. Any help is greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeffwerfree

Re: Please Help Corel vector Question

Postby Terry W » November 28th, 2012, 1:14 pm

Sorry nothing showed up for me on either file. I have X3 though. Maybe save them down so more people can see what you have?
Terry
Terry W

Postby Tom Kuhn » November 28th, 2012, 1:39 pm

Jeff, the raster image that you started from is REALLY LOW resolution (20dpi). Do you have a better quality raster image that I can test with? I think we can really do more, quicker with some pre-processing of the raster image before vectorizing, but the one you've provided is just too grainy to do much with.

Image   Software Engineer & Webmaster
Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Postby jeffwerfree » November 28th, 2012, 1:50 pm

Hopefully I saved them down properly. Try these images. Tom, This is what I have to work with, unfortunately. I'll see if there's a better version of the file. I guess this is what happens when you send images back and fourth with a client who still uses a dial-up connection. Lesson learned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeffwerfree

Postby jeffwerfree » November 28th, 2012, 1:59 pm

I just learned a major lesson about starting a project with a high quality image. However, I am still puzzled as to why the 'virtual segment delete' tool takes so long to use. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution?
jeffwerfree

Postby Terry W » November 28th, 2012, 4:03 pm

Are you just surface etching or is this something you'll be carving? Your jpg is very rough and trying to do an auto trace would leave lots of unwanted stuff. At least that's the way I see it. What I would do with this is to redraw it in the pewter if I thought I might use it again. You could just draw some of the elements and copy/past and just manipulate as needed (for single stage).

Myself, I would hand draw and cut this if it's surface etched.

Another option would be to have one of the guys on the forum redraw it for you. Maybe someone can recommend one of them. I have never had anyone redraw for me but I know there are several here that come highly recommended.
Terry
Terry W

Postby JESS » November 28th, 2012, 4:20 pm

I don't know if this would help, but here ya go.
Jess

BAMBOO 2.jpg

BAMBOO 2.ai
JESS
Site Admin

Postby jeffwerfree » November 28th, 2012, 4:32 pm

Thanks Terry, I'm really considering hooking the projector, putting blank paint mask on the doors and hand drawing and hand cutting. This computer stuff is making me crazy. I'm pretty sure that the virus on my computer is slowing me down. Yes, this will be a very light etch because it is on tempered glass.

Thanks Jess, but I need to use the image that our client and I agreed on.
jeffwerfree

Postby Terry W » November 28th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Sometimes it's just not worth the time to redraw in the computer. Projector would get you close.

I have spent many hours doing the same thing your doing only because I wanted to learn redrawing in the computer.
Terry
Terry W

Postby JESS » November 28th, 2012, 5:38 pm

Jeff-
I only posted it in case you could use some of the elements. Taking the same leaf, resizing it, flipping, rotating, etc can aid in some situations. I wish you the best of luck, and look forward to seeing the finished project.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Next

Return to Corel Draw/Graphics Suite