• Advertisement

Round logo on mug looks oval??

• Advertisement

Round logo on mug looks oval??

Postby Camman » July 12th, 2017, 6:04 am

I'm working on artwork to put on beer mugs. The logo is round. When I wrap it around the mug to mask it looks oval. I lost the formula to correct this. can someone help me out on this???
Camman

Re: Round logo on mug looks oval??

Postby Terry W » July 12th, 2017, 8:06 am

Myself, I would not distort a round object. If you do, then any other angle of view it would look like a mess and only from a direct view would it look correct.

That's just my opinion. Now text to a compound curve or similar with graphic that has straight or flat areas is another story. I would compensate for the curve in that case to straighten it out.

Maybe making your image a little smaller so not to wrap around as far may help some. When I design for mugs I try and keep it so you don't have to turn the mug at all to see the complete design.

I have never seen any type of formula like your talking about. Sorry, not much help there.
Terry
Terry W

Postby Kelly Harris » July 12th, 2017, 8:23 am

I'm curious as to why it's distorting. Typically beer mugs are cylindrical aren't they? No compound curves. Are you stretching your mask by any chance? I know some mugs get wider at the base and in this case I would make the image smaller to avoid that area. Don't know if that helps?
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby Terry W » July 12th, 2017, 8:44 am

I believe this is what he is talking about. This is a round logo but looks oval.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Terry
Terry W

Postby Camman » July 12th, 2017, 9:01 am

This is the problem. I used to have a formula to resolve this that did not distort the image. Making it worse is that the design has a logo in the center and is wrapped in a ring of text.
Camman

Postby Camman » July 12th, 2017, 9:01 am

This is the problem. I used to have a formula to resolve this that did not distort the image. Making it worse is that the design has a logo in the center and is wrapped in a ring of text.
Camman

Postby randypitcher » July 12th, 2017, 10:11 am

This link doesn't go into detail about how the final dimensions were obtained, but it demonstrates the issue at hand:
http://www.silhouetteschoolblog.com/201 ... signs.html

I would guess that the calculation involves the diameter of the substrate and some sort of ratio with the diameter of the logo. However, I would just print a couple of logos with different dimensions and cut them out and tape them to the mug until I found one that was as close as possible. If you're really ambitious, you could keep track of the mug diameter and the logo diameter for different size mugs/logos and see if a pattern emerges.

My rule of thumb for designs on cylinders (beer mugs, coffee mugs, vases, etc.) is to make the design no wider than the diameter of the cylinder. For most designs, this will allow the entire design to be seen without turning the cylinder.

Not sure if any of that helps, but good luck.
Started researching, studying and reading in February 2010. First piece etched on March 11, 2011
CrystalBlast 3624 cabinet, Home Depot 3.2 h.p. air compressor, CorelDraw X5, ADP2400 Plotter
randypitcher

Postby James Burke » July 12th, 2017, 12:44 pm

When you're done, you will essentially make your stencil horizontal oval-shaped.

I don't have the formulas handy at the moment, but you take the width of the flat logo and project that image against the cylinder (your mug, etc...). Imagine a vertical line on the mug at both ends of your logo.

The length of the arc (on the mug) that travels between those two vertical lines now becomes the "distorted" width of your logo. Turn off the constraints, keep your logo the original height, but adjust only the width to match the arc length, and all should be good.

At first glance, it will look a bit odd, but it really does work out for true cylindrical substrates. Conical glasses are a totally different story.

JB
James Burke

Postby Terry W » July 13th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Camman I played around just a little and ended up printing a couple rounds as Randy suggested. I taped to a beer mug and found if I added 12% to the horizontal it looked pretty close to round.

I would start there and see if it looks any better?? Not sure what graphics program your using? I use Corel and just unchecked the constraints lock and changed the H setting to 112%.
Terry
Terry W

Postby James Burke » July 13th, 2017, 1:34 pm

Here's link for the formula I spoke of earlier. I use AutoCAD to do my figuring, but here's a simple calculator where you just plug in your cylinder radius and the width of your original image. The "WIDTH" in the formula is your original circle width.

The "Length of Arc" value will be your new image width. Un-constrain your image and alter the WIDTH only.

NOTE: Before you calculate, make sure to set ALL of the linear units to their proper settings, depending whether you're using inches or mm.

http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/arc18.cgi?submit=Entry
James Burke

Next

Return to Adobe Illustrator/Creative Suite