• Advertisement

somethings gotta happen

• Advertisement

somethings gotta happen

Postby Rich » April 16th, 2014, 4:06 pm

So the HDD crashed and just as I reinstalled everything MS ended support for my OS and I was forced to migrate to Win7. I actually like W7 but that's beside the point. As a result of all this, I had to reinstall my CS versions of Photoshop and Illustrator. That would not work as Adobe has ended all internet and phone activations for these products. You can only do this by running the install program from the disk and it no longer works. Get it, they are trying to force everyone off of their purchased copy and onto the subscription based cloud computing at $50/mo.

I tried really hard but the best I could do was a severely back-leveled version of the programs. That does me no good as it trashes all the wonderful artwork I have worked so hard on over the last few years. So now, the moment of truth; I have to either pay Adobe's monthly fee or migrate to corel draw.

I know lots of you use CorelDraw and some use both illy and Corel. I am likely to download a 30 day trial just so I can get a feel for it but I fear the learning curve. It took me years to become functional in Illustrator and I am not looking forward to going through all of that again. Especially since I see the beginning of cloud computing springing up on the Corel web site.

So what is your opinion. Suck it up and pay Adobe ransom or deal with lost productivity for a couple of years while I figure out corel?
Rich

Re: somethings gotta happen

Postby bernie » April 16th, 2014, 9:52 pm

I'm ok with win7 but it sure is creating 'issues' with my graphic program also.

I am not fond of cloud - or monthly payments. Feels like one is 'paying rent' for the privilege of using their software. If you miss a monthly payment,do they
lock up your ability to access your usage?

Bernie
bernie

Postby JESS » April 16th, 2014, 11:30 pm

I might be mistaken, BUT- I have two computers running that have no access to the internet. Both are running XP, and work just fine. Yes, my main unit runs Windows 8, and that's where I do most of my work, but XP runs my plotters, and two of my printers, AND our old copy of Quickbooks, which will not function on the newer OS. (Why should I pay for the new version, when the old one works great?) The OS works great offline, as it always has. The trick is to keep it alive offline, so it gets no infections. Offline, it will work as it always has. Online, it is very vulnerable to hacks, which is why it is no longer supported. XP was a wonderful advancement, and is a great stand-alone system for working, and operating equipment. If you keep it off line, it will continue to do the tasks you are used to. (As long as you have an old working computer, and the original disks)

Mr. Tom would roll over, if he heard me say such a thing, he was a firm believer in the newest technology, yet he still relied on some of the older ways also. He taught me that the newest is probably the best, in spite of the critics, and to avoid becoming a Dinosaur, you must change with the times, but that being said, if what you have works, use it. The computer I use to drive my plotter is 7 years old, and so slow I might fall asleep waiting for it to proceed. Then, I remember back when I had to hand cut everything, and realize how spoiled I have become. Count your blessings, we live in a fantastic era.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Rich » April 17th, 2014, 10:36 am

Thanks for your thoughts Jess. I was thinking exactly the same thing. The computer I am using works fine and even though it is old it is good enough for what I do. For some time I have been thinking about buying a newer computer. I am thinking a lightweight laptop for travel. My plan now is to move in that direction and delegate this computer as my graphics workstation. I will wipe it out and restore my last system image of the old OS with and a working image of Illy and Photoshop. I will just freeze it in time, never connect it to the network - in fact I will remove the network card so it cannot be connected - and tennis-shoe transfer files where I need them. I hope to begin working on that project soon as I need to get a working version of illy going for incoming work.
Rich

Postby kuluchicken » April 17th, 2014, 11:12 pm

I do the same thing. I've got an old fossil of a laptop that I run Windows XP on. It's not connected to the internet either and I use it for my cutter, because I couldn't get my drivers to work off Windows 7.

I agree with you. I hate this new system of paying monthly. I prefer to buy programs.
kuluchicken

Postby JESS » April 17th, 2014, 11:19 pm

Rich-
You have seen my setup. I have the powerful computer in our office, where I do the graphic work. Out in the shop is the slave that runs the plotters & printers for transparencies. As you so aptly put it, I do the work on the good unit, and "tennis shoe" the graphics to the slave on a flash drive.
It does work.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Engraver » April 22nd, 2014, 9:02 pm

in same boat with Adobe. also use Corel. If you mastered Illie then Corel will be a walk in the park. I don't even use Illie anymore.
Kevin Coughlin
Signs from Above
607 -652-503 9
Jefferson, NY 12093
http://www.SignsFromAboveOnline.Com
www.facebook/signsfromabove
Engraver

Postby GARYR6 » April 22nd, 2014, 9:15 pm

Just a few thoughts...... I started collecting old computers (XP OS) just so I would have parts and software for the future. I too hate the idea of monthly ransom. But I think Corel is headed in in the same direction so I started collecting the operation disks for my programs, you know just to lock away for that day when I get a notice from some software company.
GARYR6

Postby Rich » April 23rd, 2014, 10:32 am

GARYR6 wrote:Just a few thoughts...... I started collecting old computers (XP OS) just so I would have parts and software for the future. I too hate the idea of monthly ransom. But I think Corel is headed in in the same direction so I started collecting the operation disks for my programs, you know just to lock away for that day when I get a notice from some software company.

Very astute and such a good idea. Good move.

After thrashing around and doing a careful search I found OEM install disks for CS5 with legal serial numbers as I bought them. I was able to install working copies of Illy and PS. Then I was able to upgrade the driver for my cutter and the interface software to my new 64 bit OS. It took a while but once I understood it, there was not a lot of help needed from the mfg to get it going. They (Graphtech) sent me detailed screen shots and relatively easy directions. I like the equipment, it holds up well and is accurate enough for what I do.

The day is not far off when I freeze this PC and take it off the net to devote to my graphics workstation. After everything is stable and so forth, I will do exactly what you suggest with this set up.

Rich
Rich

Return to Adobe Illustrator/Creative Suite