• Advertisement

Lines don't match up.

• Advertisement

Lines don't match up.

Postby Jim McDaniel » March 9th, 2013, 5:43 pm

I am learning to trace and have come a cross a little problem. :DOH: When i try to make a sharp angle some times it comes up looking like two square ends coming togthere. I have the file here in Illy and a JPEG to show. Can some one tell me what i am missing and other times i guess i get it right. As you can see the very bottom two lines don't look sharp and the one to the right of it. The rest i didn't think where to bad. Have redrawn this several times and i keep doing this but not in the same spots.
Thanks for any directions you can give.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim McDaniel

Re: Lines don't match up.

Postby Kelly Harris » March 9th, 2013, 8:05 pm

Well I'm not much help Jim, I don't know Illy at all and when I try to open the file in Corel Draw to fix it I can't open it. Sorry.
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby JESS » March 9th, 2013, 8:32 pm

Jim-
When I open this in Flexi, it has open paths, and has a stroke applied. In order for it to be symmetrical & complete, I closed all paths, then cut it in half. The right half was off a bit, so I deleted it, copied the left half, flipped it, then put it back together. I then used the Inline/Outline tool put it back to size.

I think your problem is working with a collection of open paths, rather than a single object. Maybe this will help-
Jess

OUTLINE2.jpg

Outline2.ai
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Rich » March 10th, 2013, 9:07 am

To get the effect you desire you need to join the paths. Then you can set specific anchor points to define the kind of corner you want (sharp point, curve, square end, etc).

Illustrator is a difficult program to master as it has so much capability and there are always multiple ways to accomplish something. If you really want to become proficient with the program, check out http://www.lynda.com/ as it is the best, most comprehensive on-line learning tool for many of the programs available.
I am on the web atImage
Rich

Postby Jim McDaniel » March 10th, 2013, 2:04 pm

Thanks Kelly for looking.
Thanks Jess and Rich for the input. Thanks for fixing it Jess. Can you explain how you where able to see that there where open paths and how to close them. I zoomed in pretty close but then again i don't know what i should be looking for.
Thanks for the web site Rich. I will be checking it out.
There is so much to learn.

Jim
Jim McDaniel

Postby JESS » March 10th, 2013, 6:29 pm

Jim-
Flexi has a tool that shows you if there are open paths. Also, the stroke you put on it was designed to give square corners to any line end. That's why the bottom looked like jagged.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Jim McDaniel » March 13th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Thanks Jess. I don't have Fleix so is there a way i can see open paths with illy? I guess i need to learn how to make other strokes :DOH: can't seam to get ahead with all these learning.

Thanks
Jim
Jim McDaniel

Return to Adobe Illustrator/Creative Suite