• Advertisement

NOt just Apple, but PC's too:

• Advertisement

NOt just Apple, but PC's too:

Postby Inga » January 5th, 2011, 8:15 pm

Okay here is just the latest version of my proverbial soap box speech:
BACK UP YOU HARD DRIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!
!

I have a fairly new MacBook Pro, no reason to suspect trouble lurking, but yesterday it froze up and the HD went KAPUT. No warning, just freeze and gonzo. :E: (No, this is not a Mac issue.... the same 3 companies or so make all the HDs for all computers, so I just got lucky and it happens.)

Well, I had been lax about backing up, because, hey, this computer is pretty darn new, and I have a big main computer with my main data, with several back-ups. But there IS stuff on the laptop that I collect and log when I am officing from bed and such, and I am not all networked up for it to automatically transfer to my big machine.

So I had not backed up completely for quite awhile, except for some pen drive transfers, but what the heck, I decided to do a major back-up two days ago and what a blessing it was. Today, that HD is no more. Yes, Apple replaced it for free and updated me to the latest software release for free as well. I am just sooo glad that I backed EVERYTHING up two days ago. :DOH:

BACK UP YOUR HARD DRIVES!!!!!!! :B:
Thanks for listening, :ty:
Inga :toh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSJv5ta9hwU
Inga

Re: NOt just Apple, but PC's too:

Postby Ginger » January 5th, 2011, 8:19 pm

Inga wrote:Thanks for listening, :ty:
Inga :toh:

Thanks for reminding! I've just put it on my list for tomorrow.
Ginger
My studio includes: Denver glass kiln, Skutt ceramics kiln, Jen-Ken kiln, compressor, sandblast setup, lap grinder, two ring saws, hand-held water-fed grinder, plotter, UV exposure unit. I work in glass, concrete, clay, metal, and stone.
Ginger

Postby Kelly Harris » January 5th, 2011, 8:39 pm

Thanks for the reminder Inga. I use Carbonite only because I don't know how to properly back up my system.

Glad to hear you didn't lose everything!
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby Inga » January 6th, 2011, 1:35 am

Kelly Harris wrote:.....Glad to hear you didn't lose everything!

Oh, I have hardly ever lost a thing because I am such a stickler for backing up. But the irony is, that even though I am always on the soapbox about it, I practically fell prey to the very thing that I warn about. I wouldn't have lost much, but to me, to lose anything at all is inexplicably unfounded.

What I really like is having an archiver too, because it is easy to squirrel things up and make boo-boos, and then back-up those very boo-boos. :E: In Mac this is the Built-In TIME MACHINE. (But you can turnit off and not use it just as well, and that is what I did most of last month on my laptop. >>>TRUE CONFESSIONS<<< :oops: )
=================
Kelly, haven't used it, but CARBONITE sounds swell. You should also have a back-up on a hard disk as well. Check this out for some FREE options: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-backup-tools/
Backing up is very, very easy. It's just that we tend to get crapicious sometimes, or heaven forbid, even plain old lazy like a hound dog.

~Inga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSJv5ta9hwU
Inga

Postby KBrownlee » January 6th, 2011, 8:50 am

:B: yep....I got lazy last year..didn't back anything up ALL year :E: :E: :E:

On new year's day, I backed everything up. :D and made another new year's resolution to back up on a weekly basis.
I haven't updated to Windows 7 yet, but I understand that it has an automatic backup cycle that you set.

Kelly, if you will use the search function (click start and find search then click on it and search for backup) you will find how to backup your computer. It took a couple of hours for my backup. I defrag my hard drive (search for defrag) BEFORE I back it up.

YEP.... :dunno: :dunno: don't know why I start with the BEST intentions, then loose it about 2 seconds later.... :DOH:

Thanks for the reminder Inga,
Kerri in Arkansas
KBrownlee
2011 Flake-Of-The-Year Contest Winner
2011 Flake-Of-The-Year Contest Winner

Postby Ginger » January 6th, 2011, 10:51 am

Inga wrote:. It's just that we tend to get crapicious sometimes . . .

~Inga

I know what you mean! I get crapicious all the time! :lol:
Ginger

(Just teasing, Ingie . . . )
My studio includes: Denver glass kiln, Skutt ceramics kiln, Jen-Ken kiln, compressor, sandblast setup, lap grinder, two ring saws, hand-held water-fed grinder, plotter, UV exposure unit. I work in glass, concrete, clay, metal, and stone.
Ginger

Postby irenejd » January 8th, 2011, 11:52 am

A great reminder!

It's not always a hard drive that fails. Another good reason for backing up to an external source (which is not always connected to your PC or MAC) is in case of virus/hacker/intruders ....or even guests who can't sleep and want to use your PC in the middle of the night to play games or surf! :lol:
irenejd

Postby Kelly Harris » January 8th, 2011, 12:27 pm

Thanks again for posting this Inga, after a friend here explained to me how Carbonite works I quickly realized that it wasn't enough for me. My subscription is up in a month or 2 so this is perfect timing.

Best Buy has a 1TB external drive on sale right now for $69.99. I don't know if you have the same sales in the US but seemed like a good deal to me.
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Return to Apple O/S