• Advertisement

Fonts, Now What?

• Advertisement

Fonts, Now What?

Postby KBrownlee » September 6th, 2010, 6:24 am

I have downloaded some fonts that I hope to use with Corel Draw...
I have unzipped them...now what?

Kerri in Arkansas
KBrownlee
2011 Flake-Of-The-Year Contest Winner
2011 Flake-Of-The-Year Contest Winner

Re: Now What?

Postby David Takes » September 6th, 2010, 6:35 am

You can simply drag them into your "Fonts" folder which is located in your Control Panel. The Fonts folder only has a capacity of just under 1,000 fonts from what I have read. That is a number you can reach at any point in time, so eventually I would suggest using a program such as Bitstream Font Navigator, which allows you to store an unlimited number of fonts in a standard folder or folders, then move them into your active Fonts folder as you need them.
David Takes
Expressions Engraved
St. Joseph, Missouri
http://www.expressionsengraved.com
David Takes

Postby gemsbym » September 6th, 2010, 10:38 am

Hi David,

Where did you get the Bitstream Font Navigator?
Miriam :)
gemsbym

Postby Tom Kuhn » September 6th, 2010, 11:06 am

gemsbym wrote:Hi David,

Where did you get the Bitstream Font Navigator?

Miriam,
Bitstream Font Navigator comes as a free utility with the Corel Graphics Suite...

Image   Software Engineer & Webmaster
Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Postby Kiko » September 6th, 2010, 12:59 pm

Great question, Kerri! I was wondering the same thing myself today as I was attempting to figure out how to manage my font library...

I have a few questions if you don't mind...

1. Does Illustrator have a similar utility?
2. Is there a way to preview the fonts in a program like Bitstream Font Navigator without moving them into your active fonts folder?
3. How do you guys manage your font libraries?

Thanks much, Kiko :D
Ikonics Navigator, CrystalBlast, SandCarver II. I/R compressors, pencil blaster, Somaca belt sander. Kilns, flat lap, Revolution XT saw. Nuarc 40-1K, Illy & CD, Graphtec 30" plotter. Iwata airbrush, Wacom Intuos 3. Nikon D90 camera.
Kiko

Postby Tom Kuhn » September 6th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Here's a review of 25 different font management utilities for Windows and Mac. Should give you a start... Can't tell you if Illy provides a comparable utility or not.

Image   Software Engineer & Webmaster
Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Postby Kiko » September 6th, 2010, 3:18 pm

GREAT article, Tom! I've printed it out and will review it in depth this evening. In fact, I liked the e-zine so much I have it bookmarked, and will read more as time permits. While I may only understand a fraction of the terminology now, the more I read and try, the easier it gets to understand...

I see that they have a book on the site called "The Smashing Book", which looks pretty cool. Since Dave Take's webinar with Dave Espino, I've become pretty interested in the areas of successful website development as a marketing tool. I haven't done mine yet, and will probably hire someone to do it, but I want to be able to self-manage the site. There's so much more to good website design than "cool colors", and I'm eager to learn more. Do you (Tom or others) have "The Smashing Book"?

Thanks for the cool article, Keeks :toh:
Ikonics Navigator, CrystalBlast, SandCarver II. I/R compressors, pencil blaster, Somaca belt sander. Kilns, flat lap, Revolution XT saw. Nuarc 40-1K, Illy & CD, Graphtec 30" plotter. Iwata airbrush, Wacom Intuos 3. Nikon D90 camera.
Kiko

Postby Inga » September 6th, 2010, 4:51 pm

I have not tried all those font utilities but quite a few. I am thinking that SUITCASE FUSION might be close to what was mentioned. I personally end up not using it because it is a bit cumbersome, in my opinion, bit honestly I have not spent that much time trying to really get it set up. It does seem to do a lot, but every time I get into working it, next thing I know, I find I have abandoned ship once again.

I am on Mac, so some of the choices are a bit different but the font utilities that I have found myself using the most are the built in FONT BOOK (of course), FONTCASE and TYPESET. Each of them has its own specific strengths, but they are all easy programs that don't require a lot to get set up and maintain.

I think that FONTCASE is worth checking out. With FONTCASE, try the view where you see the font in the square boxes....that is the feature I like so much). On the other end of the spectrum, personally, of the ones I have tried, the program that I have NOT liked so much is LINOTYPE FONT EXPLORER.

JMHO, :toh:
I
nga
Last edited by Inga on September 6th, 2010, 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSJv5ta9hwU
Inga

Postby Inga » September 6th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Kiko, since you are on Mac (You are, aren't you???), another cool thing for viewing fonts is to simply use the space bar or COVER FLOW VIEW in the FINDER. These are not font managing or viewing programs per se, but wherever you are, on the fly, you can view what a font looks like simply by hitting the SPACE bar. Try it, you'll like it. You can drag the corner and enlarge it quite a bit as well.

Same thing by using COVER FLOW as your viewing method (4 little square boxes at the top left of each FINDER window....it's the furthest one on the right.)

~Inga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSJv5ta9hwU
Inga

Postby The Team » September 7th, 2010, 6:09 am

We are trying to keep the "Resources" area of the forum as a repository of information, similar to the Reference area of a public library where all the dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc... are kept. To wit, threads of questions and requests for information are being moved to a new "Question Central" section. If at such time an answer to the question is posted that would/could be of benefit to others, a Tutorial or Informational of that can and will be produced and posted for others in the Resources area. Thanks for your cooperation and support.
The Team
Site Admin

Return to Windows O/S