• Advertisement

Firefox add on

• Advertisement

Firefox add on

Postby Terry W » August 4th, 2015, 2:20 pm

This isn't a windows thing but a browser add on I found.

For Firefox users I found a (so far) neat little add on that allows you to turn off tracking programs. This can range from advertising to click tracking and everything else.

It's call "ghostery " and can be found in the FF add-on section.

It was recommended to me so I thought I would give it a try. I was amazed at how many little programs where loaded keeping track of every keystroke, keyword, site visited, items looked at etc.

Not just a few were talking well over a 1000. There are little drop down menus for each type of program it will block with a slide bar for each place so if you have sites you know and trust you can keep the tracked on. Very easy to work. So far it's been great and no issues with anything. It will give you a little icon and the number of things linked to where you are that keep track of things and you can click on the box and turn on or off as needed or wanted.

Anyone else found this little gem?
Terry
Terry W

Re: Firefox add on

Postby Kelly Harris » August 5th, 2015, 7:01 am

Sounds like a good one Terry, I'll check that out.
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby bernie » August 5th, 2015, 4:12 pm

Terry,

What is FF add-on section? I'll use it as soon as I find it. :)
Clueless
My last scan showed 1123 tracking things where I used to get maybe 100. I think some of this is this smart phone ... any idea how to put a block on that along with my computer?

Bernie
bernie

Postby Terry W » August 5th, 2015, 4:18 pm

Bernie FF is FireFox. That's the web browser I use. If that's what you use then you can go up to tools and click on "add-ons" search for "ghostery" and add it. I was amazed how many tracking things there are out there.
Terry
Terry W

Postby Kelly Harris » August 6th, 2015, 6:43 am

Yep, I've got a bunch.

Ghostery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby Rich » August 6th, 2015, 9:55 am

Yes, a great add on to FF (Firefox). I've used it for months and, as you were, I was amazed at how much tracking is going on. Add that to the location placement tracking from your phone as another thing to irritate you (well, me at least). Anyway I do like it and do not allow very much tracking. The only downside I experience is when a program embedded into a web site is a tool to, say, click on an icon and see a video, it is blocked by ghostery and the link will not work. To enable it you will see a message from ghostery that it has blocked some specific item. You can go to the pull down menu and enable that one item or temp stop blocking for everything coming from that website (kind of either or, fly swatter or big hammer).

But it works great. I do allow some analytic tracking occasionally but turn off all advertising and snooping into what I may be trying to find. I also use duck-duck-go rather than google, bling, or yahoo search engines. For sure the world is changing quickly and tools like this and adblock are really helpful beyond a basic firewall and virus/malware protection. Even with all that the hackers break through and take what they want. My sympathy to all you Federal employees out there who recently found out you have been compromised.
Rich

Postby David Takes » August 7th, 2015, 10:09 am

I loaded the program and ran into an issue with the functionality of couple sites I use very frequently. I played with the settings and there was no solution so I had to remove it. Both of the sites were financial related sites, so maybe their security has a conflict with what Ghostery was doing behind the scenes. Bummer.
David Takes
Expressions Engraved
St. Joseph, Missouri
http://www.expressionsengraved.com
David Takes

Postby Terry W » August 7th, 2015, 12:22 pm

David from what I have seen you should get a pop up window or look at the little icon and you should be able to put the slider to allow what ever the site requires. Maybe not on a specialty site but that's all I have had to do on the few places that didn't run properly.
Terry
Terry W

Postby David Takes » August 7th, 2015, 2:50 pm

I tried that, turning everything off, and still could not access a feature that I needed on a financial site. Once the add-n was removed it worked like normal. There must be something going on behind the scenes their security doesn't like.
David Takes
Expressions Engraved
St. Joseph, Missouri
http://www.expressionsengraved.com
David Takes

Postby bernie » August 10th, 2015, 5:09 pm

I like this add on. Thank you for sharing this!

Bernie
bernie

Return to Windows O/S