• Advertisement

Windows 10

• Advertisement

Re: Windows 10

Postby StrikingStone » August 5th, 2015, 1:16 pm

I have 8.1 on my laptop with WinPCSign 2012 basic for cutting. I was waiting for others to upgrade and report back... I don't relish the idea of setting up my old (slow) desktop if it comes to that!
Oakley Rolwing
Phoenix Arizona
www.StrikingStone.com
StrikingStone

Postby Charles » August 6th, 2015, 7:44 pm

The interface pgm for my impact engraving system was lacking a dll file, grabbed the file, put it in system32 folder and now that pgm is working on windows 10 , so far everything I have needed for the business has been easily run on windows 10, I am still impressed
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby jhenryw49 » August 7th, 2015, 1:31 pm

Warning on loading windows 10 disable or remove Norton's, the spyware can create a problem. I know because I had a light show on my desktop, it keeped it flashing. Microsoft walked me through it,well they accessed my computer deleted Nortons and fixed it. so far so good just need to figure out the new steps in their EDGE browser. everything else works ok just organized different.
And a IT guy at my network said they use your bandwidth to load 10 to other computers not sure how.

Jack
jhenryw49

Postby Terry W » August 7th, 2015, 2:21 pm

Yes win 10 does all kinds of things behind your back that you don't know how. I will be one of the last holdouts for this upgrade. I see no benefit to anything I do or need at the moment that would require an upgrade.
Terry
Terry W

Postby StrikingStone » August 10th, 2015, 10:29 am

I went ahead and upgraded. WinPCSign is working and my cutter is cutting. I retained all of my apps and preferences. I am a stickler for privacy, so I shut everything off. I don't mind on a phone, but on the laptop, I don't want to share anything. I'm not crazy about the overall look of the OS, but I'll adjust.

Yes, they use your bandwidth to transmit upgrades to others - it can be turned off and I recommend doing so. This article is pretty good at identifying and showing how to shut stuff off. (sorry about the ads, but it is a good walk-through)

http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... ingle.html
Oakley Rolwing
Phoenix Arizona
www.StrikingStone.com
StrikingStone

Postby David Takes » August 10th, 2015, 12:59 pm

Now the trick is getting it to stay turned off. There are some wicked privacy concerns I have. Here is just the tip of the iceberg someone posted.

I ran across someone who posted this link. https://i.imgur.com/iHge6RJ.jpg It showed in depth all the privacy issues and he conveyed it was probably the worst thing he has seen from any company regarding privacy. He said it WILL go through all your emails, and it will use that data how it wants to, more or less, and that if you turn the settings off, it would turn them back on automatically. It really, really, really did not want you to opt out of anything. Most all of the really bad privacy issues, it would turn back on automatically, whether you wanted to or not. One setting that allowed you to turn something off, said if you were a consumer, you basically couldn't use it with it off. Only platform that could turn it off were Enterprise editions, or something like that. If someone was trying to scare you off from using Windows 10, this is the message they would write. I'm always take things like this with a grain of salt, but thought I would share so that you can do your own investigating.
David Takes
Expressions Engraved
St. Joseph, Missouri
http://www.expressionsengraved.com
David Takes

Postby Terry W » August 10th, 2015, 1:04 pm

David I have been reading similar articles. They all basically say that anything on your computer is fair game for them to use how they see fit. I don't see upgrading any of my computers for some time.
Terry
Terry W

Postby Charles » August 10th, 2015, 8:24 pm

I am so far happy with Windows 10....My daughters BF is a computer guy, he has been using it for several months in the prerelease beta testing thing, I started upgrading on his advise I am using the 10 enterprise edition . I had to add a DLL to the win32 file for my impact engraver, took 10 minutes, so Im sure the installing package will include that DLL file in the future.
It is running Win 10 on an older laptop, kind of old and slow not a lot of memory, it is faster then XP was on it. That in itself surprised me!
My latest toy is a droid computer/tablet 10 Viking Pro by RCA fun little machine. It will end up being my FPV moniter for my quad among other things!
It beats the heck out of my laptops..I need to see about a windows version of a tablet to replace my laptops 8-) 8-)
Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Previous

Return to Windows O/S