• Advertisement

Windows 8 and Corel Draw X3 and X4 Conflict

• Advertisement

Windows 8 and Corel Draw X3 and X4 Conflict

Postby Kelly Harris » February 21st, 2015, 4:25 pm

I don't know if this is an issue with all versions of Corel however upon installing Corel Graphics Suite X4 on my new laptop, the majority of the tiles on the start screen failed to launch afterwards. It took me hours to figure this out not to mention returning my original new laptop for another only to have the same problem. If the service guys believed me that it had something to do with Corel it would have saved me a ton of headache. Anyway here's the fix http://earthwithsun.com/questions/83397 ... reldraw-x4
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Re: Windows 8 and Corel Draw X3 and X4 Conflict

Postby Terry W » February 21st, 2015, 5:05 pm

Kelly this is just another thing the software companies are doing to make you have to purchase newer versions of their programs. I similar issues with a few programs and most are starting to not have support for only 1 or 2 versions ago. This means if you get a new computer with a no version OS that a lot of programs will not work unless you upgrade. It's getting more and more frequent.
Terry
Terry W

Postby bernie » February 21st, 2015, 6:59 pm

And just keeps costing more and more $$$$
bernie

Postby wayne p » February 22nd, 2015, 7:03 am

I have one computer that runs windows 98 and one that runs xp just for that reason. Having spent a fair chunk of change on software only to be told when windows 7 came out that there was no fix. Buy the newer version of the software was their answer.
wayne p

Postby Bill F. » February 22nd, 2015, 12:23 pm

Yes there are a lot of programs that aren't compatible from one version to another but you have to try running them in "compatibility mode" before giving up on them. You can use the windows help program to get an understanding of how to run a program in compatibility mode.
When I installed Corel 7x in the Windows7 I had a problem getting it to start. I ran it in compatibility mode and it started ok. I later found an update from Corel and installed it. I removed the compatibility mode and it still starts ok.
Bill F.

Postby Eriks » February 23rd, 2015, 1:38 am

As Bill has mentioned, I've also found the compatibility mode great for getting several programs that were written in the age of steam power to run ok on windows 7. I'm just not looking forward to the day when I need to progress to something beyond Win 7.

Cheers,
Eriks
Benchmark Engraving & Awards - Australia
http://www.benchmarkengraving.com.au
and also:
http://www.bluestreaksix.com
Eriks

Postby sgalante » February 23rd, 2015, 12:44 pm

To make things possibly worse, inside word is that Windows 10 will only support 64bit applications. Now, for many recent releases of software, that won't be a problem. I have a handy copy of an old Microsoft program called PhotoDraw that I use religiously for making greeting cards and fancy font graphics. Having an XP machine to run it on, fixes my issues, but every time I try to run something at work using Windows7, the program crashes each time I print. We have an application at the place I work, written by a major software firm in 2011, that will ONLY run in the 32 bit mode of Internet Explorer. I'm not talking about some $500 program, we have close to $1.5 million invested in this. I guess we won't be an early adopter of Windows 10 when it comes out. We also skipped over Vista to wait for Windows 7.
sgalante

Return to Windows O/S