• Advertisement

Cloud Storage

• Advertisement

Cloud Storage

Postby Kelly Harris » October 17th, 2014, 10:48 am

Are any of you using this? If so, who are you using? I'm looking for something that will back up files, photos, email, etc. and to automatically do it on a daily basis. Any help would be appreciated!

Kelly
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Re: Cloud Storage

Postby Rich » October 17th, 2014, 11:41 am

I use it all the time and depend upon it. As you say, it is automatic. Every time I add/change/delete something in my dropbox it is encrypted and stored on the internet and synchorized with every device I have enabled for synchronization; my cell phone, my tablet, and my desktop. I can access the files stored, which can be anything and can be shared with anyone or made completely private, from all my mobile devices and and my desktop computer. I have private files which only I can access and I have a set of folders I share with six other people. The product is called Dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/

I use far less storage than they have given me for free so I do not pay anything for this service. I am not affiliated with em in any way and YMMV. I have had very good luck with it so far but I think a lot depends upon the provider.
Rich

Postby Kelly Harris » October 17th, 2014, 12:41 pm

Too funny Rich. I actually have Dropbox already but have never thought to use it for anything other than photos. Right now whenever I take a photo with my phone it automatically uploads to Dropbox. I'll have to check it out some more but will it back up emails? Can you point it to specific folders such as "Documents" and it will automatically load when something is added/changed?
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby Wayne » October 17th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Kelly,
Norton antivirus has a cloud storage, 2GB on line storage I have it with my internet service.
Wayne
Wayne

Postby Charles » October 17th, 2014, 5:16 pm

I do believe I made a post about"Google Drive" cloud storage abt a year ago....15 gigs free, backed up to cloud as you add it to the folder, Google is intending to give microsoft a run for "office" software and it is free also, check out the "apps" and u get about everything you get with office for free and it will also open and close office documents, Anywhere you have the internet and a computer with the google cloud pgm on it you have access to your storage!!! Including your free Gmail account.....
So anywhere I have my laptop and the internet I have access to all my artwork, contracts, design layout, master files, company documents WITHOUT taking a flash drive etc with me!!!!!! I LOVE it!!!!
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby randypitcher » October 17th, 2014, 11:40 pm

I've been using Dropbox for a couple of years. Not just for photos, but for legal documents and such.
One of the features that I like is that you can share a folder with someone else. My sister, who is also a sandblaster, share a folder. We've used it to share graphics.

I've also just started using Box (box.com) for photos only.

-Randy
Started researching, studying and reading in February 2010. First piece etched on March 11, 2011
CrystalBlast 3624 cabinet, Home Depot 3.2 h.p. air compressor, CorelDraw X5, ADP2400 Plotter
randypitcher

Postby vagabond » October 18th, 2014, 4:52 am

I use Qihoo 360 Cloud Drive. Its a Chinese company and they claim you can store up to 36 Tb for free. I am up to about 500 Gb at the moment, i back up everything as i have had a couple of computers fry on me in the past, loosing everything.
Bert
http://www.sandmanglass.co.uk/
Some mornings I find it hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
vagabond

Postby bernie » February 22nd, 2015, 8:25 am

My question ... how safe is this thing called cloud back up? I use dropbox to move files but pull them out when moved... probably because I don't know any different.
I'm not very computer saavy and am not sure if they "never" loose files, can someone get into these folders besides you even if you mark them private?

Can I export my graphic files to using .eps or .ai or maybe pdf file and grab them whenever by using dropbox? Flexi files will only open on flexi so I don't think that would be a
good way to save things. Do you guys save theses graphic files in a pdf versus a graphic program file?

What is the difference between dropbox, cloud, google docs, etc. Are they all just storage units in the air?

I've had a couple major computer crashes and lost things. My laptop is finally dying and I just moved all the old files off of it to dropbox and am trying to decide what to do with
them.

Bernie
bernie

Postby Terry W » February 22nd, 2015, 10:34 am

This is a good conversation.

I have also been looking into storage that I can access from anywhere. I am not too keen on putting things out to never, never land (cloud) but did check out the personal cloud. This sets at home and you can access your files as long as your wifi and net is available at home. The guy I talked with the other day didn't know a bunch about it so I am going back later this week and talk with someone else.

I know having an offsite backup is ideal but reading new stories everyday about large companies, offices, etc getting hacked does not instill confidence in me having every thing just out there floating. A good stiff breeze and you never know where it will end up.

Anyone use one of the personal cloud storage systems???
Terry
Terry W

Postby Kelly Harris » February 22nd, 2015, 11:02 am

My new machine (Windows 8 or 8.1 not sure) came with OneDrive and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

This is what I get - OneDrive is a free online storage service, like an extra hard drive, that’s available from any of the devices you use. Upon signing up for OneDrive, you get 15 GB of free storage. You can get an additional 15 GB of free storage with our camera roll back up bonus.

Not really sure how far that will go but a person can also purchase additional space 100 GB for $2.00 per month, 200 GB for $4.00 per month and so on. A person like me who doesn't back up as often as I should this could be ideal???

So maybe a combination of OneDrive and Dropbox???

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Next

Return to Windows O/S