• Advertisement

Virus going around

• Advertisement

Virus going around

Postby Charles » August 29th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Wow my wife got a virus on her computer a week ago, what a royal pain in the rear to get rid of.
It was actually scareware, took over the computer wouldnt allow anything to happen except go to thier website and pay for the anti virus IE anti scarewareware update! I doubt it would have released the computer.
You couldnt open any pgm, except IE and then only go to thier website thru a proxy server. Only way you can do anything is either boot the system in cmd mode if any of you remember DOS.
Or boot it in safe mode with networking, that was 50/50 if the scareware was watching, you had to rename the antivirus scanners cause the bug was still active and will not allow anything to open but iexplorer , so u rename the pgm iexplorer go to explorer and remove the proxy server settings the malware put in so you can update the antivirus software! A bunch more steps I lost track of, the one she has is a latest and greatest cause all the registry places it wanted me to check didint have any of the bug in them, seems the authors are constantly changin where it resides in the machine.
I finally got to work on it lastnight and midnight left it still scanning, but operable!

This scareware looks like your antivirus software telling u you have a virus, it even fake scans showin you all the exploits ( bugs) on your computer BUTTTTTTT I finally got a clue when it said this one virus was on the system that I knew had been patched 5 years ago!!!!!!Ok what kind of BS is this! This scareware fooled me into thinking it was Mcafee it looked really close!

Now she had mcafee running and it defeated it cause she opened the exe.

I have scanned her system now with 3 different cleaners and each is still removing some more of the load.

BUT this is actually a bug with a purpose, lmao so many are out there just to cause grief this one actually is there to scam you! Not just crash your computer!

Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Re: Virus going around

Postby sgalante » August 30th, 2011, 4:17 am

As an IT professional for some 30 years, it really irks me that these people have nothing better to do than to write viruses.
If I can pass out 1 piece of advice to anyone, it is , "Stay away from Internet Explorer". Being the most used browser out there, it also lends itself to being the most hacked. I only use Google Chrome, and Firefox. First off, they are so much faster, and you will usually find that they are much less likely to be hacked. Changing browsers won't totally prevent this type of stuff from occurring, but I have done my own tests where Chrome and Firefox will stop in their tracks when I even attempt to open most suspicious links, whereas, IE just lets them go through.

Just my little 30 year contribution to the forum.
sgalante

Postby DOC_ED » August 30th, 2011, 11:57 am

I've been having a similar problem the last two weeks; don't know what to do about it. I've been running scans but no help.
I guess it's time for a new computer. (IE sucks) :evil:
Doc Ed
DOC_ED

Postby Tom Kuhn » August 30th, 2011, 12:03 pm

I've seen that one before. If you will download the free version of Malwarebytes and ComboFix, run MalwareBytes it will remove the virus. ComboFix will then reset all your permissions so you have access to your files again. It works...

Image   Software Engineer & Webmaster
Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Postby Charles » August 30th, 2011, 1:24 pm

Now Tom, for the rest of us you know it isnt that easy! You cannot down load anything untill you boot in safe mode with networking so you can access a web browser.
Better yet to Down load the fixes on a flash drive using another computer, THEN rename the files to Iexplorer.exe
That allows you to put the bug grabbers on your computer as even in safe mode it dont allow anything to run BUT IE.
In safe mode with networking you have to open your default browser in tools and internet connections uncheck the proxy server bulls eye
That will allow the bug grabber to access its database to update its virus definations, then it can scan.
The key is working from safe mode w ith networking !
PS Tom whats easy fro you is darn hard for the most of the rest of us! LMAO

Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby Gordon » August 31st, 2011, 7:22 am

Been dealing with this virus around the school district and college (multiple part-time jobs). It is a pain but not impossible......... Charles your right on the money!

G
Gordon

Postby vagabond » August 31st, 2011, 9:51 am

Had something similar back last year, when i finally got rid of it i installed Peer block and Avast, haven't had a single problem since.
Bert
http://www.sandmanglass.co.uk/
Some mornings I find it hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
vagabond

Postby bernie » March 25th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Just picked up this virus on the laptop Friday evening. What a problem! Shut everything down! I don't use Internet Explorer.

Exactly what Charles said is what happened to me. Major trojan wouldn't let me do anything without purchasing the antivirus
it was requesting. Really made me mad as it came across looking like windows was requesting this as my computer was
being attacked and my personal information was being attacked. Turns out the trojan is the culprit!

Not sure how it managed to get around the antivirus ... but my computer repair guy cleaned everything up and reinstalled new antivirus. Couldn't
ask for better service ... drop off the laptop yesterday afternoon ... picked it up this afternoon! Sweet!

And Inga is right ... no back up and you're screwed. I don't have a thing backed up on this laptop as its not my main business
computer. But still has loads of stuff on it. I haven't bothered to turn it on yet to see what I still have and don't have.

Bernie
bernie

Postby Terry W » March 25th, 2012, 6:44 pm

Bernie I just got done cleaning my system of as well. It's a shame we are so vulnerable with everything.

Glad you got your system going again.

The Trojan I had sent e mails to all my contacts with some type of prescription scam. Than I was getting undelivered mail back to me by the hundreds. Too bad our marketing campaigns cant be as productive.
Terry
Terry W

Postby bernie » March 25th, 2012, 11:18 pm

Wow Terry! Sounds like you got hit harder than I did! Sucks.

What surprises me is that these trojans seem to be able to get around antivirus's. The antivirus on my desk business computer is different than
what is on my laptop. Last year my business desk computer got shut down because of a trojan and then Friday its my laptop.

Bernie
bernie

Next

Return to Windows O/S