• Advertisement

Media identification

• Advertisement

Media identification

Postby StrikingStone » July 29th, 2014, 5:16 pm

Hi all!
Does any one know of an easy way to distinguish between silicon carbide and black aluminum oxide without loading it into the pressure pot?

I found an old bucket full of sand that could be SiC, or it could be black AO. It is sparkly, so I think it might be SiC, but I don't want to put it in my pot and find out that it's AO.

Is there a method to find out for sure (chemical etc) to be sure?

Thanks!
Oakley Rolwing
Phoenix Arizona
www.StrikingStone.com
StrikingStone

Re: Media identification

Postby JESS » July 29th, 2014, 6:58 pm

Oakley-
I have never dealt with black AO, but would be willing to bet, a small crush test with a hammer would show you the difference. Beside that, how much difference will it really make? AO cuts well, so if you have it, use it. The only real difference is longevity, and the fact that AO creates more static electricity. Wear a ground strap, and pound that stuff to dust!
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby bernie » July 29th, 2014, 8:43 pm

I haven't used black AO either ...

SC sparkles

I agree with Jess. I would be more concerned as what size grit it is than if its AO or SC but if you're using it for rock and not glass ... it should not matter.

I use a lot of grit in a years time - I will blast with one grit, may use another grit for something else ... they all get mixed together. Not a big deal. BUT ... I don't do
this with glass as I have a separate blast room and cabinet I use exclusively for glass and only use SC 100 in the blast room and SC 180 in the cabinet.

Bernie
bernie

Postby StrikingStone » July 30th, 2014, 1:42 pm

Jess and Bernie- Agreed. I will mix it in slowly. My concern was that I might loose some of the fireball effect (which I rely on for a control feel) if it was AO. I'll just put it in as if it's new SiC instead of dumping it in as a bucket rotation.
Thanks
Oakley Rolwing
Phoenix Arizona
www.StrikingStone.com
StrikingStone

Postby kuluchicken » July 30th, 2014, 5:52 pm

I've also only used black sparkly SC. It looks very different from the AO which is more brownish....well what I've used anyway.
kuluchicken

Postby WOBGnut » January 1st, 2015, 5:12 pm

Newbie question. What's a grounding strap? I get the idea of grounding to keep from being the conductor of the static, but not how you personally ground yourself. Little green wire attached to your finger, running to a brass screw???? :ROFL:
Sometimes it is the people no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine. -Attributed to A. Turing
WOBGnut

Postby JESS » January 1st, 2015, 6:46 pm

Surprisingly, that would work! Try to find something flexible, but if you are getting shocked, anything that grounds you will help, even just resting your arm on the metal of your cabinet. You will learn.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Terry W » January 1st, 2015, 6:48 pm

Well now,,,, I don't worry about it much in Florida as the humidity seams to keep the static buildup down. I used to have my equipment all grounded to help but don't really need to now. You can get static build up more so using AO then Sic and I use AO most of the time. It seems to get worse when doing mirror (at least for me it did). I used to blast with my shirt off (very hot here) and would lean against the cabinet with my chest and sometime forehead. I have a large pass through with a tall flat front. When doing mirror I would sometimes get a nice shock that zapped me. Well I won't go into it much more than that :ROFL: Placing a ground strap on your wrist would help this. Although I never did. I just leaned away. :DOH:

You'll know if you need to do anything with it. The shock can be like rubbing your socks on the carpet and touching the fridge only a hundred times not just once.
Terry
Terry W

Return to Other