• Advertisement

Changing abrasive

• Advertisement

Changing abrasive

Postby KikiTopaz » June 20th, 2013, 8:14 pm

I've been using silicone carbide since I started blasting last fall. I believe it's time to get more abrasive. I can order SC through Ikonics up north but then shipping is probably expensive. Otherwise, I have a local supplier that carries Aluminum Oxide. The place is only five miles from home. What would you do?
If I change to AO, will I have to try to remove all of the SC in my cabinet? I do have my shop vac back in working condition.
I'm not sure what to do. I've never used AO before. I know most people like sticking with what they are used to. I sure would appreciate any comments you have or personal experiences.
Thank you! Kari
Corelx6 graphic suite, Ingersoll Rand 60gal air compressor, Ikonics Crystal blast Pro cabinet.
Kari aka KikiTopaz
http://www.mainstreet-etch.com
KikiTopaz

Re: Changing abrasive

Postby JESS » June 20th, 2013, 9:05 pm

Kari-
The best medium is SC. If you swap to AO you will get shocked much more often, and it will not last as long. SC breaks down as you use it, to simply a finer grade of abrasive. Do not throw it away! The finer abrasive that it becomes is VERY useful! I no longer dispose of used SC, it works great until it has broken down to pure dust, which is picked up by your dust collector. Simply add fresh abrasive to your booth or cabinet, and continue working. If you have a decent dust collection system, you will not need to do a complete change out. If you would like more information, feel free to IM me. It's pretty simple stuff!
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby David Takes » June 21st, 2013, 5:12 am

I will second what Jess recommended. SC is the way to continue. I have all kinds of local suppliers, but I still have it shipped from Detroit Abrasives. Get a quote from them and compare to ALL other options.
David Takes
Expressions Engraved
St. Joseph, Missouri
http://www.expressionsengraved.com
David Takes

Postby rlvied » June 21st, 2013, 7:41 pm

I agree with staying with the sc. I use ao now but am changeing over to sc because of the shocks and I find that 180 ao is very dusty even when it is new. If you have a Grainger or MSG supply close by you should be able to get it from them. I just ordered some from a local air compressor repair shop for $136.00 for 120 sc. You might check your local repair shops.
Bob
rlvied

Postby JESS » June 21st, 2013, 8:30 pm

Just so you know, I always purchase #100. No sense in buying finer, when after a few uses, you have the finer grit. Just thought you might be interested.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby bernie » June 21st, 2013, 8:59 pm

My first experience with AO was the first time I ever picked up a sandblasting gun to sandblast. I got shocked, time and time again. Said something
to the fact that "this sucks" and 20 years later ... I still won't use AO in a cabinet. I hate getting shocked.

GCT is not too far from you ... did you call and ask them if they supply SC or if they know who does? I work with Kent - call and ask.

My preference is SC - we pay a premium for it here on the west coast as it has to be freighted in. Wish we had a Detroit Abrasives here as mid west
sure gets SC a whole lot cheaper than I can find it here.

Bernie
bernie

Postby KikiTopaz » June 22nd, 2013, 2:39 am

The choice is clear. I never thought of checking with Grainger. There's a location within ten miles of home. Thanks for your advice, everyone! I'll be sticking with SC.
Corelx6 graphic suite, Ingersoll Rand 60gal air compressor, Ikonics Crystal blast Pro cabinet.
Kari aka KikiTopaz
http://www.mainstreet-etch.com
KikiTopaz

Postby Charles » June 26th, 2013, 7:09 am

With a little thought and planning ( like has been acknowledged ) You will need to buy one size of grit and sift for finer, we are lucky here...I need a coarser grit for lettering the stone, and as fine as I can sift out for shape carving, I use AO BUT I don't have to touch the stone so the shock issue isn't there for me. We use a Z sifter to sift the material when I need fine for shaping, as Jess and others said I don't throw away any grit, I replace the material as I reuse it, example when we refill the pot with whats off the floor of the blast room, I add 1/3 of a 1lb coffee can of new grit per 5 gallon bucket, this keeps the amount in service even, it also keeps the medium size of grit in the system constant, keep track of what is happening and you will find what works best for YOU and your applications!

Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Return to Other