• Advertisement

Hose bursting

• Advertisement

Hose bursting

Postby Sheree » May 6th, 2013, 2:27 am

Hello,
I hope this is the correct place to post this.
My equiptment . Pab blaster gun, HF cabnet modified, HF pressure pot with "t" valve under it, dust collector and large compressor.
I don't do a lot of Sandblasting, it's mainly a tool to clean fused glass and small single carving.
If I do I'll upgrade my cabnet and pressure pot.

I'm new at this as well. Everytime I open the valve from the compressor ( I watched your wonderful videos 101 and 102 on YouTube). I have the same on-off valves. If I don't open the valve with one hand and press the nuzzle from the gun with the other the tubing attached to the gun blows up and about sounds like I'm getting shot. It scared the bejesus out of me!

I'm guessing I'm doing something very wrong. With my PP being 3 feet away from the nozzel it's almost a gymnast trick to press the nozzel at the same time. Why is this happening? The hose is very thick looking rubber that came (I had to reorder it) from the place I bought the nozzel.

I'd really appreciate any advice
Thank you
Sheree
Sheree

Re: Hose bursting

Postby vagabond » May 6th, 2013, 3:27 am

Sounds like your pressure is way too high!
Bert
http://www.sandmanglass.co.uk/
Some mornings I find it hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
vagabond

Postby sgalante » May 6th, 2013, 6:49 am

Sheree,
Do you have a picture of the hose you are using? A few years back I thought I had a great idea. I would use surgical tubing on the inside portion of my blast hose. I use a pinch blast setup, and figured it being fairly soft, I would have a better way of using the pinch clamp to stop the flow. I never thought about the fact that I had air pressure in the hose also and as soon as I closed the pinch clamp, the surgical tubing acted like a baloon. Pop went the surgical hose before the clamp and I had a cabinet filling with sand.
Just an idea that the hose may also be the wrong type when the Pab gun trigger is in the closed position.
SteveG.
sgalante

Postby JESS » May 6th, 2013, 8:57 am

Sheree-
There is no question- you have the wrong sort of hose, that cannot handle the pressure. Your hose should be able to handle any pressure your compressor can supply. I like the braided hose you can find at Home Depot. It holds up well, and you can see if it is wearing.
Jess

BLAST HOSE.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Sheree » May 6th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Thank you so much! I bought the gun and hose here: http://www.pabblaster.com/store/pab-gun-1.4

When the hose blew up at 30PSI the SECOND time I had to buy a new one and they sent the same thing-
compressor 0012.jpg

Why would they sell a hose that would blow up? 1 last question, I'm using 120 grit Silicon Carbide and get little shocks above the belt where my body touches the cabinet - is there a way to avoid this?

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sheree

Postby JESS » May 6th, 2013, 7:51 pm

Sheree-
Please take the time to introduce yourself in "The parlor", so we all might know a little more about who we are communicating with. Those shocks are from static electricity, and are MUCH more common with Aluminum Oxide. (Ask Kelly about being hit in the "fun bubbles" :twisted: ) Usually you will only get bitten hard using SC if you are blasting something conductive, such as a mirror. Regardless, setting yourself up with a "ground", so the static has somewhere to go other than through you, will solve that problem.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Sheree » May 8th, 2013, 1:23 am

Thank you everyone! I went to home depot today and bought a 1/4 inch hose. I wish they had shorter than 50 feet. I have to cut it anyway to fit I to my pab gun.
All the best!
Sheree
Sheree

Postby Coppers Lot » May 8th, 2013, 2:44 am

Sheree, at what point in your hose is it bursting please?
When I am not using my pab gun I have the trigger held against the grip with some gardening zip ties, this stops the tube being permanently gripped.
Is it here where your tube is bursting please?
40lb pressure pot with inga mods, compressor,leaky cabinet thingy with syphon,letralite with red thingy,graphtec 3000-60 BRAND NEW = 1/8" PAB Gun and tips. Special Pressure Poy for Xmas.
http://www.worldofglasscraft.com
Coppers Lot

Postby sgalante » May 8th, 2013, 8:33 am

Sheree,

Usually Home Depot will have tubing like that (I'm not sure if you ended up with the reinforced tubing or not) by the foot. The last time I bought mine, buying a 20' roll was about the same cost as 10' by the foot. 50' is a lot, but I know I always find uses for extra tubing.

SteveG
sgalante

Return to Other