• Advertisement

AO vs SC

• Advertisement

Re: AO vs SC

Postby bernie » February 9th, 2015, 8:32 am

KikiTopaz wrote:I blasted the other night, out in the garage. I'm using SC 100grit. I was blasting a wine bottle and I was getting shocked, holding the nozzle. I figured it was from the cold.

======
Oh boy ... that is a new one. I didn't think SC would do that. Darn.
Curious ... were you holding the bottle? I'm trying to think thru this theory that it may be blasting and holding an object vs. blasting and not holding the object.
Bernie
bernie

Postby Kelly Harris » February 9th, 2015, 9:00 am

bernie wrote:
kuluchicken wrote:I blast in a cabinet and have luckily never been shocked...I'm scared of saying this in case Murphy is nearby :)

========
I have heard others say they haven't been shocked using AO in a cabinet. No clue what the difference is but you guys are lucky. If it happens, you will know it as its
like walking thru a room and picking up static electricity and touching an object and getting zapped. :)
I wonder if it may not be what Charles referred to as 'he doesn't touch the object he is blasting' ... that may be the best explanation I've heard. Who knows.
Bernie

I use AO and get zapped ALL THE TIME!!! Not fun!
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby Terry W » February 9th, 2015, 3:17 pm

HEHEHEHEHE. That's funny Kelly.

I used to get blasted up der in da nort land. Especially when doing mirror. Don't get that much down here. Dry time is still humidity in the 40-50%.

I have AO in one cabinet and SC in another. I like the sic as it sends a little glow spot where it hits the mask. Or maybe it's just me :Crazy:

Sic cuts faster and gives off less dust and stays sharp until its powder. I have sic in my glass cabinet. AO gives off more dust, still cuts fast, is about half as much but does wear out. I have AO in my rock cabinet.
When adding new sic to your pot it still cuts pretty much the same. If you add AO or just use a new batch, beware. It will cut faster and may eat up your resist as now it's all sharp. Not a big deal on rock but if you use it for glass when the stuff starts wearing we tend to turn up the pressure a little and blast closer. Now the fresh stuff you should back off just a little until you see how much faster it cuts then before.

Scroll back to some of the old posts. There is plenty of info on both.
Terry
Terry W

Postby bernie » February 9th, 2015, 8:47 pm

Terry, sc does give a cool spark "IF" my mix ratio is right. I don't always get it though. I seem to loose it as my nozzle gets larger.

Kelly, the grounding strap I saw online looked rather interesting. When I come across it again, I'll send you the link. There are 2 different kinds, wrist or shoe.
Don't know why there isn't some kind of mat that one could set the cabinet on that would act like a grounding strap. Heck there might be and I just don't know
about it. :roll:
bernie

Postby JECO1 » February 9th, 2015, 9:35 pm

Just a quick tip-
A mat, as you suggest, would insulate the cabinet from a ground, leaving YOU as the easiest path to ground. Ground the cabinet, and insulate yourself. Electricity follows the shortest path to ground. That's why a ground strap on your wrist, etc. keeps you from feeling a shock.

Also, about the "fire" seen with SC. I use that as a teaching tool. It's called "the ball", and is actually sparks thrown from the SC colliding with itself, in it's rush to your substrate. Much can be learned about shading, by using that "ball" as your guide to where your abrasive is actually hitting. The center of the ball is the heaviest concentration of abrasive, and by using the edges of that ball, you can control the depth of your carving, or the amount of shading you desire.
These are tips learned by taking classes. :lol:
Jess
All types of flat glass work, hand beveling, sandblasting, Glass Distributor.
Visit us
HERE for more information
JECO1

Postby Donna D. » February 12th, 2015, 7:41 pm

bernie wrote:Kelly, the grounding strap I saw online looked rather interesting. When I come across it again, I'll send you the link. There are 2 different kinds, wrist or shoe.

If you would share with the rest of us too that would be very nice. :ty:
Donna D.

Postby bernie » February 12th, 2015, 8:22 pm

Donna D. wrote:
bernie wrote:Kelly, the grounding strap I saw online looked rather interesting. When I come across it again, I'll send you the link. There are 2 different kinds, wrist or shoe.

If you would share with the rest of us too that would be very nice. :ty:

=================
ok ... I'll find it and get it posted in the "equipment" section as a new topic
Bernie
bernie

Postby Charles » February 13th, 2015, 7:03 am

The static charge builds up on the object you are blasting, then discharges somewhere, if you are the best conductor to ground it will be you as Jess said before. ANd with what I blast we arent required to hold the object,( 3-6 DIE ABOUT 700 LBS) thus no shocking, however if you reach in and touch it before it has any time to leak the charge off you will feel a hard hit..lol. It is not uncommon after basting a 3-6 die for AO to be built up and hanging on the ends of the monument 3/8 inch thick...static charge...After the frosting process the monument is brought back in the layout room for the panels to be replaced if this residual isnt cleaned off it makes a hell of a mess in the layout room falling off in the floor.
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby kuluchicken » February 13th, 2015, 11:33 am

I often blast holding the object and use AO in my cabinet. Maybe it's because I work on glass...I don't know. I have a metal cabinet...not sure if that makes it better or worse?
Luckily never been shocked yet...touch wood :)
kuluchicken

Postby bernie » February 13th, 2015, 8:49 pm

No ... I think you have just been most fortunate to not get zapped. It may be the climate you live in but definitely not because its glass. Sandblasting glass is where I got my
education on AO shocking me.

Bernie
bernie

PreviousNext

Return to Other