• Advertisement

AO vs SC

• Advertisement

Re: AO vs SC

Postby rlvied » January 18th, 2013, 11:36 am

I use ao all the time and used to get shocked all the time until I got one of those grounding straps that you put on your wrist when working on computers. Since I started useing that I never get shocked unles I forget to hook it to My cabinet with the little aligator clip then all bets are off.
rlvied

Postby theoldgreyfox » February 7th, 2015, 8:40 pm

Howdy,

Usually the media type usually does not matter but rather is chosen based on choice or availability or price.

I use a straight silicone sand, 70 grit. I cut granite, slate, ceramic tiles and barware glass. I also use it for etching on stainless mugs and flasks.
All grit will break down and be gone so why spend large dollars if not needed. I purchase my sand for about $15/100lb usd. That means that I can go through a lot of media before I even come close to the cost of AO or SC.

Some have brought up the issue of dust. But then all media creates dust which must be contained.

The issue of electrical static has been mentioned.
I suspect that it is not so much an issue of media but rather the type of item being cut.
I get static doing metal. I have never had it when doing glass, stone, etc.

John
theoldgreyfox

Postby bernie » February 8th, 2015, 1:25 pm

Using silica sand is not a safe choice of medium to use so do your homework and read the OSHA/ NIOSH specs below on silicosis. Somewhere I have a better publication
put out by the same OSHA / NIOSH but can't put my hands on it. It is not as long and pretty much just puts into writing the nuts and bolts of safety. I thought I posted
it years back on the forum ... anyone have it? Using silica sand is Not a topic to be taken lightly. $15 a bag is only great if you don't trash your lungs. Most new people don't understand the term "proper respirator" or dust control and put themselves in a not so safe place trying to save a bit of money on grit.

Those of us that have asthma or any kind of respiratory issues know better than to use anything that is harmful to our lungs without taking necessary precautions.

Once you read this publication then its up to you what you choose to use for sandblasting medium. Just be aware that this is referred
to as white lung disease where coal miners get black lung disease ... same thing, different color. Both non-repairable.

Scroll down to the table of contents and then browse thru from there ... 145 pages of reading material, some I browsed thru. I don't know how to attach the direct link so ...

copy / paste and it should open up; Health Effects of Occupational Exposure to Respirable Crystalline Silica Adobe PDF file [PDF - 1,020 KB]

Bernie
bernie

Postby kuluchicken » February 8th, 2015, 3:26 pm

Hi John

I totally agree with Bernie. When I started ages ago I used river sand out of ignorance to the danger of using it. When I realized how unsafe it is I changed to AO and SC. They cut much quicker and one's health is just not worth the risk.
kuluchicken

Postby Donna D. » February 8th, 2015, 6:15 pm

rlvied wrote:I use ao all the time and used to get shocked all the time until I got one of those grounding straps that you put on your wrist when working on computers. Since I started useing that I never get shocked unles I forget to hook it to My cabinet with the little aligator clip then all bets are off.

Picture of your setup? I've killed a computer and a cordless phone set because of static electricity. When I blast, I want to see along with not zapping my body! TIA.
Donna D.

Postby bernie » February 8th, 2015, 7:21 pm

Donna D. wrote:
rlvied wrote:I use ao all the time and used to get shocked all the time until I got one of those grounding straps that you put on your wrist when working on computers. Since I started useing that I never get shocked unles I forget to hook it to My cabinet with the little aligator clip then all bets are off.

Picture of your setup? I've killed a computer and a cordless phone set because of static electricity. When I blast, I want to see along with not zapping my body! TIA.

=====

They now have a grounding strap that goes on your shoe / foot. I've seen it on some site (not forum) as well as the one for the wrist. I think people who have used AO and its outdoors
don't get the shock that people get using a cabinet. The very first time I touched a sandblaster I was using AO and using someone's huge home made cabinet. I got
shocked enough times that I still won't use AO if I'm blasting in a cabinet. I've messed with it a little over the years for rock in my walk in blast room but only because my supplier gave me a couple bags. He was trying to convince me that "I'd like it" ... No shock in the blast room from AO but I don't stock it as I don't use it.

I remember Kelly having problems with this. Not sure if Charles has run into this.

Bernie
bernie

Postby KikiTopaz » February 8th, 2015, 7:46 pm

I blasted the other night, out in the garage. I'm using SC 100grit. I was blasting a wine bottle and I was getting shocked, holding the nozzle. I figured it was from the cold.
Corelx6 graphic suite, Ingersoll Rand 60gal air compressor, Ikonics Crystal blast Pro cabinet.
Kari aka KikiTopaz
http://www.mainstreet-etch.com
KikiTopaz

Postby Charles » February 8th, 2015, 7:53 pm

Since I am blasting large stone, standing outside the cabinet the static is not a problem for me, I am simply not touching the object im blasting!!! We use about a ton of AO a year...A lot of static is generated as a lot of fine grit stays attached to the monument for about an hour after blasting, we use air to blast all the clingy dust off or it makes a mess in my layout room lol , turn the lights off it looks like a lightening storm in the booth..

Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby kuluchicken » February 8th, 2015, 10:12 pm

I blast in a cabinet and have luckily never been shocked...I'm scared of saying this in case Murphy is nearby :)
kuluchicken

Postby bernie » February 9th, 2015, 8:29 am

kuluchicken wrote:I blast in a cabinet and have luckily never been shocked...I'm scared of saying this in case Murphy is nearby :)

========
I have heard others say they haven't been shocked using AO in a cabinet. No clue what the difference is but you guys are lucky. If it happens, you will know it as its
like walking thru a room and picking up static electricity and touching an object and getting zapped. :)
I wonder if it may not be what Charles referred to as 'he doesn't touch the object he is blasting' ... that may be the best explanation I've heard. Who knows.
Bernie
bernie

PreviousNext

Return to Other