• Advertisement

AO vs SC

• Advertisement

AO vs SC

Postby airrat » January 17th, 2013, 10:58 am

I have been using AO since I started. I am getting very low and need to go get more. So I am trying to decide which way to go this time and would like to hear some pros and cons or opinions from people I respect. So please speak up you all.

I am still do mostly the sandstone, but I am getting some glass orders. I do not do the halftones and such yet since I am still resisting resetting up a washout. Since the remodel of the bathroom I cannot use it and just don't have a wash basin in the basement where the shop is. So everything is done on the plotter. This might be the year I break down though.

So with that said. AO vs SC I know the cost difference on them so would the SC last long enough on the sandstone to make the cost worth it?
Tom
Chandler Az
airrat

Re: AO vs SC

Postby Daryl » January 17th, 2013, 2:18 pm

I us both as well and they seem to last a long time.
The SC is 220 and I use it for my glass in one cabinet with rapid mask (none wash out)
AO in my stone cabinet with Hartco 310.

The SC is used more than the AO,but not as long, (projects are much smaller) and pressure pot is only 20pound

AO is not used as much but the projects take longer to do, sand stone rocks as well, my pressure pot is 3 times as big, so I dont know that I can really answer your question honestly, I do know I keep using and reusing and reusing. Still cuts.
All the extra fine stuff I feel is pulled out thru the vacuum, then I dump it in the trash.

The plus I like about the SC is that my nipples dont get shocked against the cabinet, all though sometimes that might not be a bad thing, it keeps me awake :TU:

Hope this didn't confuse you.

Daryl
Daryl

Postby airrat » January 17th, 2013, 3:34 pm

LOL sounds like you need a piercing and a static collar attached to it. I have no clue what you all are talking about with the static shocks. My cabinet is plastic, its the SCM one on a desk and I dont get shocked with the AO.
Tom
Chandler Az
airrat

Postby Kelly Harris » January 17th, 2013, 5:16 pm

Sorry I can't help you out with the SC, never used it but let me tell you the shocks are real! Yes, the fun bubbles get shocked quite often but it's on my smaller cabinet that it's real bad. My thigh constantly is shocked by the regulator to the point where it leaves marks! Apparently this isn't a problem if you use SC instead of AO but I'm too cheap to try.
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby airrat » January 17th, 2013, 6:29 pm

Fun bubbles!?! :o :shock: :E: :ty:
Tom
Chandler Az
airrat

Postby Terry W » January 17th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Fun Bubbles :ROFL: Must be a Canadian saying :B:

I used to get shocked all the time with AO back in Minn but down here in Fl I haven't been shocked yet. :dunno:

I have sic in one cabinet and one thing I like is it's almost like shining a light on where you blast where my cabinet with AO doesn't do that.
Terry
Terry W

Postby LVDave » January 18th, 2013, 7:12 am

I grounded my two cabinets and it really cut down the shocks.
LVDave

Postby airrat » January 18th, 2013, 9:25 am

Well technically by shocking their fun bubbles they are grounding. :lol:

So what I am getting so far is just a matter of choice. I have seen comments in other post about SC staying sharp where AO breaks down. I just don't know how it fairs up against sandstone. Also I believe I have seen some like it since it shows where they are blasting. The "glow" effect as well as the color change on the resist or marking it leaves. That is about all I know about SC. On the Neg side of AO is a shocker and brings out probably some profanity and leaves a mark on people. Other then that is the dust when it breaks down.
Tom
Chandler Az
airrat

Postby randypitcher » January 18th, 2013, 10:43 am

The only time I get shocked with AO, is when I am blasting metal or mirrors.
Started researching, studying and reading in February 2010. First piece etched on March 11, 2011
CrystalBlast 3624 cabinet, Home Depot 3.2 h.p. air compressor, CorelDraw X5, ADP2400 Plotter
randypitcher

Postby StrikingStone » January 18th, 2013, 10:48 am

Since Jess introduced me to SiC, I switched to it exclusively. I do almost nothing but sandstone, granite and bricks. Once in a while I will load a small PP with old dusty Sic to do glass. Here's a run down-

SiC cons - pricier (but not really by much), can get pretty dusty because you can use it until it is dust (is that really a con?).

Pros - creates a "fireball" that lights up your work where the stream hits it and shows your coverage (you have to see it in action to get it) - doesn't turn your setup into a Tesla generator. - when it breaks down, it remains sharp (see cons) and therefore much more re-usable than AO. - It is a bit harder than AO, so granite and harder substrates don't require larger or fresher grit (but it still helps).

If this doesn't convince you, and you still want to use AO, I have three or so 5 gallon tubs of old AO of varying grit laying around that you (or Randy or anyone else in the Valley) can have for the price of replacing the tubs!
Oakley Rolwing
Phoenix Arizona
www.StrikingStone.com
StrikingStone

Next

Return to Other