• Advertisement

Advice for Beginner

• Advertisement

Re: Advice for Beginner

Postby bernie » September 1st, 2012, 11:26 am

jimg wrote:I have been using a complete system bought from SCM. A couple days ago the air stopped feeding to my nozzle. I thought two things, either my nozzle needed replace (worn) or my foot pedal needs replaced. I have since replaced both and NO luck. I have the Humphrey foot pedal with 3 connections - 1 CYL and 2 ON.. I have the CYL connected before my pressure gauge on the pot and the ON connected to the T at the bottom...
Any suggestions? would be a great help!

Thanks

Jim

Tried to send you a PM but it wouldn't go thru so ... you might want to start a new post as I think others may miss this problem under this post.

Bernie
bernie

Postby Tom Kuhn » September 1st, 2012, 12:24 pm

jimg wrote:I have been using a complete system bought from SCM. A couple days ago the air stopped feeding to my nozzle. I thought two things, either my nozzle needed replace (worn) or my foot pedal needs replaced. I have since replaced both and NO luck. I have the Humphrey foot pedal with 3 connections - 1 CYL and 2 ON.. I have the CYL connected before my pressure gauge on the pot and the ON connected to the T at the bottom...
Any suggestions? would be a great help!

Thanks

Jim

Jim, a couple of thoughts here. First, If the system WAS working, and just quit, and you haven't re-plumbed anything, I wouldn't be looking at the foot pedal connections, etc... A worn nozzle wouldn't cause your problem either. When nozzle wears, the hole gets bigger, and would let MORE air/abrasive mixture through, not clog it up. I would not think that it is a worn foot pedal valve either. By default, a foot pedal valve is open, and it takes air pressure applied at the cylinder to shut the flow off. That's why when you normally first start the system, you'll usually get some air out the nozzle until the pressure raises high enough to shut it off.

I would bet that you have a large plug of abrasive in your output hose (between the pot and the nozzle) and it's just too much to push out when you're starting. If I were to wager, I'd also bet that there's most likely some foreign material in the line that's causing the clog. I'm speaking from experience here as I have an SCM setup also. Their pressure pot works well, but in between uses, the top acts as a big funnel collecting any foreign objects, bugs, etc... that get mixed with the abrasive. To address that, I keep a plastic grocery bag over the top of the pressure pot in between uses to keep foreign objects out.

You didn't mention what pressure you had going to your pot and what your line pressure was. That may be helpful info, but the first thing I'd do is to take a small welding rod or wire and run it up the nozzle. See how far you can get it. I bet you'll hit a plug of abrasive. Dig on it a little and shake the nozzle to shake it out. Pay attention to what comes out also. If you ARE seeing evidence of any foreign objects be sure to screen your abrasive before refilling the pot (good suggestion anyway)...

Image   Software Engineer & Webmaster
Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Postby Robin » March 20th, 2014, 4:10 pm

I've been blasting stones using the high tack rapidmask. Never had to use the washout type. Ikonics makes a blastable adhesive that you can paint onto your stone that helps with adhesion and I put a coat of cheap hairspray underneath that. Getting comfortable with applying your mask material takes a few tries but if your stone is fairly smooth, it can be done. I try to blast straight on so as not to catch an edge and that helps too. The hairspray keeps the stone from absorbing any of the green coloring from the rapidmask and makes cleanup after painting easier too.
Robin

Previous

Return to Other