• Advertisement

Pressure settings?

• Advertisement

Pressure settings?

Postby Bkaz » April 17th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Well after years of very slowly buying small pieces to get my sandblaster together and always hitting roadblocks due to very little free time between having 2 jobs. The current stay at home orders have allowed me to finally assembly my parts.

I now have a working sandcarving setup. I am still limited on my vinyl cutting abilities due to only having a cameo but it will get me started atleast.

My question is at what pressure should I have going through the system? I read somewhere that 100lb into the system and 60lb going to foot pedal and 40lb into the pot does that sound right?

I am using 120 grit SC.

Thanks and I did run a small test on a piece of scrap glass to confirm everything runs fine. It was just a junk piece but I hope to have a first piece to post a pic soon good or bad.
Brian
Bkaz

Re: Pressure settings?

Postby JESS » April 17th, 2020, 5:22 pm

Brian-
Congrats on making the best of the situation!
I don't know what your setup is, but here's a way to make it work for you. Personally, I don't trust gauges beyond letting me know the system is alive.
It doesn't matter what the compressor pressure is, as long as it's the highest number. If you're using a pedal, it can run at that top pressure, as long as it's 20 -30 PSI above your pot pressure.
Take any old piece of junk glass, and mark out sections for experiment, sort of a grid. Set your pot pressure at 10-15 PSI, and etch the first section of your grid, playing enough to get the feel. Write it down. Bump up the pressure, and play in the next grid. Write it down. (Note- use this exercise to experiment with how each pressure shades, carves, etc.) Bump it up again, do it again, write it down. Before you get to 100 PSI, you will have a pretty good feel about how your system works, and what techniques you enjoy.
Myself, when ready to charge the pot, I stick my fingers in the fill hole to feel the flow, and when it's close to what I want, charge the pot, & test.
REMEMBER! You can always increase pot pressure while working, but NEVER decrease pressure while working, you will destroy your regulator. If you need less pressure, close the valves, dump the pressure in the pot below what you think you want,, then increase to your comfort level.
Hope this helps-
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Bkaz » April 17th, 2020, 9:01 pm

Thanks Jess I will try that tomorrow hopefully. I finished putting it together then finally realized i didn't have any flat glass to practice on.

I went to home Depot and bought some flat glass to practice on. Obviously they only have pretty thin glass but it should give me some practice material while I feel it out.

Brian
Brian
Bkaz

Postby James Burke » April 18th, 2020, 1:58 pm

Save all your glass jars to use for practice, and then throw them in the recycle bin when you're done. They're a lot more durable than window glass for practicing. You should never have to buy practice glass.

JB
James Burke

Postby JESS » April 18th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Brian-
I never thought that you might BUY practice glass. Every glass shop has a dumpster that gets waste glass. It might be scratched, but why would you care?
You do not live far from me. If you're interested, I would be happy to help, within limits. (If your experiments cost money, you pay it, but I have scrap to play with).
Since one of our local members passed away, (RIP RandyPitcher), I could use someone local to handle the stuff I just don't want to do anymore. IM me if you're interested.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Terry W » April 19th, 2020, 10:00 am

That's a great offer Brian. JUMP on it. At the very least you will gain a new friend!! :B:

Dollar stores are also good places for mugs and glassware. You have a cutter and once you have practiced on a few things then make your practice count. Mugs and glassware are great ways to practice and give as gifts to friends and family.
Terry
Terry W

Return to Other