• Advertisement

AO vs SC

• Advertisement

Re: AO vs SC

Postby JESS » February 13th, 2015, 9:45 pm

Ya want fun? Sandblast a mirror (from either side) with the lights off. A pretty cool light show, unless YOU are the ground.
Jess

Yet another fun aside, about static electricity. I have always opened the car door for my wife, and held her hand as she exited the vehicle. Today, while the humidity was quite low, again, as she slid from her seat and stood, while my hand was on the car door, I was bitten. The static developed from the friction of her tush on the car seat has to go somewhere, and since the soles of my boots are less insulating than the tires of the car, I was, once again, the path of least resistance.
The things we do for love!
Enjoy Valentines day all, the love of your life should still shock you once in a while.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby VictoryVinyl » February 13th, 2015, 11:06 pm

This is the exact topic I was looking for today. I am very new to this still and have done a few mirrors but must have been something in the air today because it was shocking the crap out of me and the AO was sticking to the mirrors like crazy! I got the job done but I felt like Ben Franklin! lol
VictoryVinyl

Postby bernie » February 14th, 2015, 9:50 am

Posted under equipment: Anti Shock Strap ...
bernie

Postby James Burke » October 29th, 2019, 3:50 pm

This is a very old thread and I just had to look it up to see if Kelly really did say something about "fun bubbles". Yep, it's true and I've been educated. It hasn't been a wasted day after all!

But all silliness aside, the secret to a shock-free experience is in the blast hose. A blast hose made with carbon black (the same stuff they put in car tires and other rubber or plastic products) allows the hose to freely dissipate static electricity before it has a chance to build up. Think of the serious and sometimes deadly problems that car tires, fan belts, and plastic gas tanks and gas caps would cause if they held static electricity.

A hose that does not conduct electricity allows the static to build to the point that it suddenly discharges when a ground is made. That is typical with vinyl, hydraulic, and even some air hoses when used for blasting.

I get my hose from Marco and Clemco and haven't had a shock since I switched over. I used to use air hose and hydraulic hose because it was cheaper. Never again.

Read about carbon black here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_black

JB
James Burke

Postby Kelly Harris » October 30th, 2019, 5:33 am

Good to know James. Thanks!

I spent this past weekend blasting about 150 river rocks, to clean and store. Let me tell you, I was really getting tired of getting zapped! It was not fun!
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby kuluchicken » October 30th, 2019, 1:53 pm

That must be the hose that I have. I've never been zapped. Mine is a thick heavy black hose that I've been using for about 20 years without replacing it.
kuluchicken

Postby Terry W » October 30th, 2019, 2:31 pm

It makes a difference using AO or SC. SC doesn't seem to build up static as much, and high humidity also keeps the static at bay. I have not been zapped for years. Although very exhilarating at times :TU:
Terry
Terry W

Previous

Return to Other