• Advertisement

cfm?

• Advertisement

cfm?

Postby peter_n » October 9th, 2013, 7:27 am

I want to get a compressor and was looking at 20 cfm. What do you guys run? I am pushing up my game and have severly outrun my little compressor.

Thanks!
peter_n

Re: cfm?

Postby Joe Goodson » October 9th, 2013, 9:05 pm

That one should do fine. Most folks recommend at least 10 cfm for pressure pots.
Joe
Joe Goodson

Postby JESS » October 9th, 2013, 9:22 pm

Peter-
The CFM is most important when read at (?) pressure. The best advice I can give you, is purchase the best, highest quality compressor that you can afford. If you are serious about this, you will never have too much compressor. If you can afford a unit that would supply 3 sandblasters, you would be $ ahead of the game. If you were to ask Charles, he runs an antique unit that supplies all the air you could need, without ever breaking a sweat. My unit has two 5HP compressors on 1 80 gallon tank, and on a long day, they might both run at 90%. This combination has lasted me 13 years with no problems, and was worth every cent I hated to pay for it. :shock:
Just my opinion-
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby peter_n » October 11th, 2013, 4:38 am

Thanks! just wanted to make sure I was on the right track!
peter_n

Postby Charles » October 18th, 2013, 6:36 am

Air is the working part of doing your work, that said it is really hard to have to much air!
And Jess is correct, all 3 of my Air Compressors are literally Antiques...2 belong in the Smithsonian if they arent already there, they were brand New in 1926, they are still daily runners!
The 3rd is a new one, it was new in the 50's , the 26 models came with the business, the later one was given to me to get it out of the machinery room in an old factory!
That said, I spent around 1500.00 getting it set up and running with me doing all the work.
All 3 of these are single cyl, single stage, horz. units, S-L-O-W rpm's water cooled units.
And they will last me out properly cared for.
I keep preaching....auction sales....older greasy units no one wants, 2 or 3 x what you need, BUY it. clean it up, And if it is 3x what you need, then it wont just last 3 times as long, most likely 10 times as long as one sized for just what you need!

Putting my soap box back up

Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby tzuntzun » December 22nd, 2014, 2:42 pm

Which is more quiet oil less or oil. I plan to get one with at least 5 hp and 60 to 80 tank. which is better single stage or 2 stage.

thanks

Wesley Hsue
tzuntzun

Postby Charles » December 23rd, 2014, 7:26 am

Most compressors are by default today 2 stage, however all that you will ever require a single stage unit will pump.
The stages are simply what the maximum pressure the unit can produce. A single stage compressor usually 90 to 100 PSI is top.
2-stage usually pumps to 150 to 175 psi. A 2 cylinder single stage unit both cylinders are equally compressing air.
A 2 stage compressor consists of a large cylinder and a smaller cylinder, the large cylinder pushes into the smaller cylinder ( thus 2 stage) to achieve the higher pressure.
All this said you will be using a regulator to reduce the air pressure to your blast nozzle to the 20 to 50 psi range depending on what you are blasting so either will work, usually the single stage units are a bit more efficient.

Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Return to Compressors