• Advertisement

Cabinet Air Consumption?

• Advertisement

Cabinet Air Consumption?

Postby Kazuale » April 21st, 2013, 6:51 pm

While looking for cabinets some descriptions mention their air consumption. I thought a cabinet was just something to sandblast in. Should I be concerned when choosing an air compressor or pressure pot?
Kazuale

Re: Cabinet Air Consumption?

Postby Rich » April 21st, 2013, 7:50 pm

I agree, it is an odd thing to say about a cabinet. The cabinet does not consume air (pressure) and as you say is simply a container to sandblast in. It must have a vent to carry off the dust (hence a dust collector) and it must have a vent to allow air to come in. Air consumption, in my opinion, relates to the volume of air - usually expressed in CFM (cubic feet per minute) - required to push the abrasive through the nozzle and strike the substrate. Depending upon the type of blasting you intend (glass, stone, wood, ceramic, metal etc.) you will need different pressures and therefore different CFM. Buying a compressor with sufficient CFM is the critical component in the context of your question.
Rich

Re: Cabinet Air Consumption?

Postby sgalante » April 22nd, 2013, 5:01 am

Kazuale,
The only cabinets I have pretty much ever seen that mention air consumption are cabinets based on a Siphon system. Even at that, it doesn't mean much unless they take into account the pressure that you will be blasting with. As yo may already know, siphon systems take quite a bit more air to accomplish the same task that a system that uses a pressure pot would use. Not to worry though, pretty much all siphon cabinets can be retrofitted to use a pressure pot. It is just a matter of replacing the way the system works. In my case it was just a matter of pulling out the siphon hose and using that same hole through the side of the cabinet to pass in my hose and nozzle from my pressure pot.
Hope that helps.
SteveG.
sgalante

Return to Cabinets