• Advertisement

rookie ?'s

• Advertisement

rookie ?'s

Postby peter_n » March 5th, 2014, 5:24 pm

Hi all,

I have moved into the realm of the Pot Blasters. I have everything hooked up, I am using the foot pedal setup. I need nearly 80lbs to make the bladder close and stop media from coming out. I have the pot set to about 45-50 lbs pressure.

I am pretty sure I did not put enough grit in (100 sc), should it be 3/4 full?

I tried to blast but it either came out like a firehouse and soft or barely at all.

What pointers can you give that you wish you had in the beginning?

What is the best abrasive to blast bike frames?

Thanks, I am thankful for the help, a lot!

Peter
peter_n

Re: rookie ?'s

Postby JESS » March 5th, 2014, 6:34 pm

Peter-
There should be no problem with the foot pedal, your pressure difference should work just fine. The problem is in your media control valve, and is quite simple once you get the hang of it. Go back and study our tutorials on pressure pots, Here, and it should help. Don't feel bad if it takes a while to get it all figured out.
We're here to help. Your pot should function well until nearly empty if it is set up properly. When it gets low, it will start spitting like a cat. If that happens to me near the end of a job, I give the pot a shake to get the last little bit.
Hope this helps-
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby peter_n » March 5th, 2014, 7:09 pm

Thank you Jess!

i hear ya, i have watched the tuts and that how I got this close. I figured it a matter of fine tuning and getting a bit more abrasive in there.

Any ideas on blasting bike frames and the best media?

Thanks,
Peter

watching the tuts again! Thanks!!
peter_n

Postby JESS » March 5th, 2014, 8:54 pm

Use the cheapest you can find, then throw it away. Little bits of rust, paint, etc. are a major P.I.T.A.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby peter_n » March 5th, 2014, 9:20 pm

thanks!
peter_n

Postby peter_n » March 6th, 2014, 6:31 pm

i messed with it for 5 mins. and i was able to frost some glass then ran out of abrasive, but I was on track! Thanks again!
peter_n

Postby KikiTopaz » March 16th, 2014, 4:46 pm

Peter,
Keep us posted with your progress. Please post a small sign somewhere near your equipment that reads "Relax & have Fun". It helped me quite a bit in those first few weeks of getting stuff figured out. The credit goes to Jess for the sign. He was my ocean of calm. Good luck.
Kari
Corelx6 graphic suite, Ingersoll Rand 60gal air compressor, Ikonics Crystal blast Pro cabinet.
Kari aka KikiTopaz
http://www.mainstreet-etch.com
KikiTopaz

Return to Pressure Pots