• Advertisement

PSI Requirements

• Advertisement

PSI Requirements

Postby redquasar » February 10th, 2021, 5:12 pm

Hi,

I'm new to etching, and I'm yet to buy all of my equipment. I have an online gift shop where I sell mostly personalized sublimated products, but I want to expand my portfolio. Personalized glassware seems like a logical (and interesting) area to explore. I intend to buy fairly inexpensive equipment in order to produce some products and test the market. If things work out, then I'll upgrade.

I've purchased all of the equipment needed to produce masks/stencils, and now I am looking for a compressor, pressure pot and a cabinet. I simply could not justify the expense of purchasing purpose-made equipment at this juncture. I intend to buy general purpose components and adapt them to my needs. I think I've identified a compressor and cabinet which will satisfy my requirements, but I'm having real difficulty finding a pressure pot. Although there seems to be more pots out there than you can shake a stick at, they all seem to have a minimum working pressure of 60PSI, which, from what I understand, is somewhat higher than that required to carry out basic etching (forgive me if my terminology betrays my rookie status!)

So fruitless has my search been, I have come to the conclusion that my understanding of the required specifications might be wrong. So, can anyone help me? Should I be looking for a pressure pot with a relatively low minimum working pressure of, say, 30PSI, or not?

Thanks in advance.

Mick
redquasar

Re: PSI Requirements

Postby VARMINT » February 10th, 2021, 5:29 pm

Mick-
Everything you need to know is here. Ask the value of full membership. 8-)
V
VARMINT

Postby Eriks » February 12th, 2021, 1:20 am

Hi Mick,

Welcome to the forum.

Essentially what youre looking for in a cheap pressure pot is one of the Chinese made pots that look like a converted LPG gas bottle. Many of us on this forum have started this way and still continue to use them. With a few modifications these cheap pots can be made to perform just as well as the more expensive equipment.
Here's a link to an example of the type of pot I'm referring to:
https://toolswarehouse.com.au/collectio ... laster-kit
These pots seem to be available worldwide, come in different colors with different brand names stuck on them, so I'm sure you wont have a problem finding one closer to you.

I think they typically specify 60psi because these pots are supplied with a very large nozzle at the end of the hose and so need a lot of air to make them work. Don't forget their target audience usually want to sandblast rust, not glassware. As I mentioned earlier you'll want to make a few modifications.

The first thing you'll do is throw away the heavy fire hydrant hose and oversize nozzle and change it for a more flexible hose and a much smaller nozzle made form better quality material. I think 3/32" is a typical nozzle size used for etching. Make sure you buy the carbide nozzles and not the cheap ceramic ones that wear out after a couple of minutes use. I normally sandblast with my pot set to 15-20 psi, but have had it down to 5psi when I needed to apply some very light graduated shading on a polished metal panel one time.

Another useful modification is to make a grit feed tube for the inside of your pot. This has been discussed in detail several times previously on this forum.

Finally you might consider adding a foot control switch to turn the sandblasting on and off. A foot switch frees up your hands to hold the nozzle and the item your sandblasting. Plus you don't want the sandblaster running non stop. Have a look to see what companies such as Rayzist and Ikonics sell for their systems as the parts can be usually adapted with various plumbing fittings to work on the Chinese pressure pots. It just comes down to how skilled you are at modifying things.

Main thing is if in doubt ask, there are lots of knowledgeable people on this forum who have done this all before.

Cheers,
Eriks
Benchmark Engraving & Awards - Australia
http://www.benchmarkengraving.com.au
and also:
http://www.bluestreaksix.com
Eriks

Postby Charles » February 22nd, 2021, 10:25 am

Mick welcome to the forum!!! Some of the most talented people in have seen are members here, sharing time, pictures and knowledge..I am sure you will learn much if you want to..
Again WELCOME

Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Return to Pressure Pots