• Advertisement

Yet Another Printer Question

• Advertisement

Yet Another Printer Question

Postby Kelly Harris » October 25th, 2014, 10:44 am

While doing some price comparisons for new ink cartridges (for my 1400), I found these http://www.123inkcartridges.ca/epson-in ... oCzo3w_wcB and I originally thought "can't hurt to try them". But my question is, can it hurt to try them? Is there any way these things could ruin my printer, print heads, whatever? $20.00 versus $125.00 seems too good to be true. My 1400 is used exclusively for transparencies.
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Re: Yet Another Printer Question

Postby Terry W » October 25th, 2014, 1:03 pm

Kelly I used only epson for my 1400 since I purchased it until about a year ago. Then I got a cheap bulk ink set up and the first time I tried the bulk system it didn't mix with the little ink left in the print head and plugged. Had to clean everything and started over with fresh carts. Then I got the 1430 as I didn't like not having any printer around if I had issues again. That one only ran 1 set of ink carts and went with the bulk system. I did a little more research and found someone that had good luck with their ink (made in the USA).

If your only using it for paying jobs then why switch. You know it works and can figure that into all your pricing.

On the 1430 ink system I would have to try and find my paper work to see what kind it is. All I know is the ink is supposed to be made in the state and had good reviews. I had to play around with settings to get what I wanted. I printed 20 - 11x17 pictures, maybe 30 - 8 x 11 pictures and probably 60 - 70 washout films and have used hardly any ink. I forgot to do a print for about a month not long ago and had a clogged head, put some head cleaner in and back up and running in no time.

The ink I use I had to turn up the saturation and add a little adjustment to get the colors correct but seems to be working fine.

I said in an earlier post I just finished printing and washout of a bunch of very small text and fine lines. No issues at all.

But like I said I had to play around with it some and if your only using that printer for film charging for it then I would just keep on using the epson carts.

Just my opinion anyway.

Hey, any white stuff floating around yet. It was kinda cool down here Maybe 78deg so figured your about due up there. :B:
Terry
Terry W

Postby Kelly Harris » October 26th, 2014, 8:03 am

Very good point Terry and thank you. I'll stick with the OEM cartridges.

A flew flurries a few weeks ago, since then we've had very beautiful weather. This weekend is cooler and threatening snow tonight and tomorrow.
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby sgalante » October 27th, 2014, 6:55 am

Kelly,

I can't speak for the Epson 14xx printers, and/or transparencies, so this answer may be useless.
I have had great luck with 3rd party ink cartridges. I don't have a printer with large/bulk cartridges but the printer cartridges I have bought from Monoprice and LD. I am no way saying these will work for you, but since I believe ounce for ounce, printer ink is more expensive than diamonds, they have worked for me.

Neither LD or Monoprice seem to sell the bulk cartridges, but coming from experience working for both HP and Xerox at one time, I can tell you there is no magic potion in either of the HP or Xerox inks. Kodak is another story since their print cartridges are a little different in form, but I would say that so long as you are getting the same "type" of ink (example dye sub) you should be fine. I even looked at the Wiki page on inks and it states that even Consumer Reports ran tests to determine that OEM and 3rd party inks are "usually" pretty much the same.
HTH.

Steve
sgalante

Postby davidkelso » October 27th, 2014, 7:15 am

Kelly,

I have an Epson 1500w and had always used original Epson replacement cartridges for the black ink and cheaper compatible cartridges for the other colours as I only use it for transparencies.

Recently I bought some compatible black cartridges and gave them ago knowing I could revert back to the originals if the quality wasn't good enough.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Nice, dense black with good coverage and still excellent resolving of fine lines and small letters. It was hard to tell finished prints apart. It's early days yet however if the quality is maintained and there are no problems with the printer I might just continue the experiment for a bit yet.

It's certainly giving me food for thought as I was always a die hard ORIGINAL cartridge person whether it was for laser toner or inkjet cartridges as I liked to be assured of the quality of output for any artwork.

David
=========================
David Kelso
Crystal Clear Glass Engravers
Belfast, Northern Ireland
www.crystal-engravers.com
Creative Crystal cabinet, PAB Blaster set up, CorelDraw X7 + HalfWiz
davidkelso

Postby Kelly Harris » November 9th, 2014, 3:19 pm

Well I figured after the last 2 replies I'd try the cheap cartridges. Usually the old saying "you get what you pay for" typically applies but in this case I'm pretty sure it doesn't. David, I am pleasantly surprised as well however before I get too excited I need to try a wash out.

Printout on transparency.
Ink.jpg

Halftone on granite.
Halftone.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby davidkelso » November 10th, 2014, 7:17 am

Kelly,

Those results seem pretty good. I'd guess if it works with RM it will almost certainly work with a washout film as the exposure time is so much shorter.

I've been using 'alternative' ink cartridges for a week or three now and the results seem pretty consistent (and good).

I'll continue using them however I'll always have an original cartridge or two up my sleeve in case the quality drops off any.

David
David Kelso
Crystal Clear Glass Engravers
Belfast, Northern Ireland
www.crystal-engravers.com
Creative Crystal cabinet, PAB Blaster set up, CorelDraw X7 + HalfWiz
davidkelso

Postby Kelly Harris » November 16th, 2014, 6:13 pm

Washout worked fantastic!

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Return to Laser/Inkjet Printers