• Advertisement

Printer Questions...revisited

• Advertisement

Printer Questions...revisited

Postby Frank Stone » October 22nd, 2014, 2:22 pm

A lot of the questions asked about printer purchases are a year or two old. That brings me to the subject of "discontinued" products.
My HP C5180 has gone to the last roundup in the sky and has to be replace(and, yes, money is an issue). It was a good printer and laid down plenty of black ink for my AccuArt transparencies which are used with RapidMask 2-4 mil photo resist for sandcarving.
The support people at Ikonics Imaging use the Epson Stylus 1400 inkjet printer and recommend it as a great printer for their AccuArt transparencies. The only trouble is that the 1400 has been discontinued and replaced with the Epson Artisan 1430(so says Epson). Ikonics says that it is the same printer with wi-fi capabilities added. But, in a query to Epson Support as to the 1430's ability to print transparencies, Epson Support says that it will NOt.
Does anyone use a Artisan 1430 for their transparencies? The price is do-able for me at $300.
If no one uses this particular inkjet printer, do you have any other suggestions?
Frank Stone

Re: Printer Questions...revisited

Postby Terry W » October 22nd, 2014, 4:16 pm

Well Frank I own both of them. The 1400 work great and you can still get them. Trouble is the printer that cost $250-$300 a few years ago now goes for $6-700. After looking for another one of those and seeing that price on them I went with a 1430. Same print head, same ink carts only wifi. I found one on sale through epson last year for $200. Normal is about $300 I think. I just got done printing almost 20 different transparency films yesterday with text in the neighborhood of 7pt on parts of each one. Develop time was 30 sec, washout time was 20-25 seconds each maybe a little longer on a few as I checked them. Film I use is 3M CG3480.

I did have to play with the settings more to get it to lay down ink like my 1400 but seems to work just fine. Oh, I do have a bulk ink set up on the 1430 with non oem ink and it works fine. Only issue I have is sometimes the very last 1/2 of the film triggers a paper jam so if the printing is full page all the way to the bottom I have to watch it. Otherwise I just try and keep the design or graphic away from the last 1/2". Not sure if it would trigger a paper jam with accuart or accu black or not. I think those are white the whole sheet if I remember???

If you go the 1430 I can give the settings that I use.
Terry
Terry W

Postby Frank Stone » October 23rd, 2014, 4:35 am

Thanks so much Terry. I will begin shopping for the best price on the 1430 and, if the offer still stands, I'll contact you for the settings. My sandcarving is mostly a hobby BUT I've been having withdrawal symptoms since I haven't been able to create anything lately.
Thanks again!!!
Frank Stone

Postby Frank Stone » October 23rd, 2014, 4:44 am

Another question Terry---
I cut my AccuArt transparency sheets to 4x6 inches(since my projects require nothing larger). Does the 1430 have a tray that will accommodate that size?
BTW, there is no problem with me blanking out the last 1/2 inch of the sheet.
Frank Stone

Postby Terry W » October 23rd, 2014, 9:38 am

There is a slot for postcards and such but I have never used it. So not sure if it would work for you or not. What I do is just move the graphic or text to the area on the page layout that still has room. Then print. Whey you print you have to have "print as in document" or what ever it says. This will leave everything in the space you put it so you don't have to cut things up.
Terry
Terry W

Postby Branch Creek » October 23rd, 2014, 6:24 pm

Frank and Terry - Thank you for this discussion. I had just started to look at the 1430 but also heard that it did not do transparencies. Since it will I'll have to see what kind of sale I can find.
Terry, can I ask what kind of bulk ink set up you have?
Branch Creek

Postby Terry W » October 23rd, 2014, 8:03 pm

There are some Epson printers that do not handle transparencies I have an all in one workforce 600 that the sales guy told me would print to transparencies so I purchased it a few years ago. By the time I tried it was too late to return. Did not matter what I did it would not print to transparency.

Both the 1400 and 1430 print very well on transparency film.
Terry
Terry W

Return to Laser/Inkjet Printers