• Advertisement

Newbie Printing Problem

• Advertisement

Newbie Printing Problem

Postby cdiemel » April 20th, 2013, 9:53 am

I received the Rayzist inkjet mask making kit. Made up a simple eagle vector on my mac using GIMP. GIMP only goes up to 720 dpi.
Put the Rayzist film sheet in the printer & hit print. The sheet goes in and right out without printing. Printer then says paper out. It's like the printer doesn't recognize the film even though it pulls it in. The printer is a Epson Stylus NX420.

I then tried using my PC and a HP PSC 2355 All-In-One. It printed but I could see right through the black. I sent it through 2 more times but the black is not getting black enough. I checked all settings and they are set at what I think they should be.

Thanks for any advice anyone may have.
cdiemel

Re: Newbie Printing Problem

Postby Tom Kuhn » April 20th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Wow, lot's of options, lots of potentials for things to go wrong... Let's start out, you didn't create a simple vector eagle in Gimp. Gimp is a RASTER drawing program, similar to Adobe Photoshop or Corel PhotoPaint. Your next statement should have given you pause (it only goes up to 720dpi). There is no DPI (Dots Per Inch) rating in a vector drawing.

Now that we know we actually have a raster original, we need to determine what the size of the original is,and what it's being output at and what the color assignments are. When you drew the eagle if you only drew a single line width, that line would be 1/720" wide or slightly less than 1 pixel for a standard ink jet printer. That would be very hard to duplicate and could cause problems. Next, depending upon the color assignments you could be causing additional problems. Are you using an RGB, or CYMK color palette?

Even if you have a black cartridge in your printer head, if you're using RGB palette, it's going to print artwork black by a mix of 100%-R, 100%-G and 100%-B ink. if you're using a CYMK palette you have a couple options available to you. You can assign a composite black (100,100,100,0) or a true black (0,0,0,100) or print a composite and mixture over each other (100,100,100,100)'

That last option gives you the most dense black for a transparency and the best option for a good print. Make sense?

Image   Software Engineer & Webmaster
Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Re: Newbie Printing Problem

Postby cdiemel » April 22nd, 2013, 5:56 pm

Thanks for the reply. I do need to take some time and learn more about the graphics side of things. I was excited to jump in and try everything out once I received my supplies.

I did figure out how to change the CMYK settings. But, after further research on Epson's website, it says the printer that I have will not recognize transparency paper.

Guess I'll have to do more testing on my slow moving PC dinosaur.
cdiemel

Return to Laser/Inkjet Printers