• Advertisement

If you had to buy a new printer which one would it be?

• Advertisement

If you had to buy a new printer which one would it be?

Postby Jim McDaniel » November 17th, 2011, 5:23 pm

If you needed a new printer which one would you buy and why? What would you be looking for in it? What are the best options for printing out images for the sand carving industry?

Questions Questions i know. But i do need answers. :D

Thanks
Jim
Jim McDaniel

Re: If you had to buy a new printer which one would it be?

Postby williamd » November 18th, 2011, 7:54 am

Printer as in a photo printer, like inkjet or laser....?
William Desrochers - Vector Artist
http://www.excaliburcreations.com
Bitmap to Vector Conversions
williamd

Postby JESS » November 18th, 2011, 8:28 am

Jim-
I have 3 HP Inkjets that all do a great job. A dedicated printer (vs. all-in-one) seems to be the best idea, fewer things to go wrong. The more expensive ones have larger cartridges, so they perform longer between changes. My favorite is an old 722C, I also have an 832C that performs as well, but is noisier.
Hope this helps-
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby williamd » November 18th, 2011, 8:40 am

I would go with the brother's, or even a samsung. They're built like tanks. Also you want good refills at lower cost, go to www.inkowl.com best quality around. It's not the cheap generic crap that clogs your machine up. But lower than half the cost of OEM.

I have a HL-3040 they go on special for under $100 at Newegg. It's a colour laser and I print tons of paper.
William Desrochers - Vector Artist
http://www.excaliburcreations.com
Bitmap to Vector Conversions
williamd

Postby chindog » November 18th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Interesting that this topic should pop up just now. My HP laserjet has started growling, and will likely need to be replaced soon. I have been using an HP laserjet 1012. I just replaced the toner/drum cartridge a couple of days ago. I really like the HP laserjets because of the Fastres setting that puts down a heavy layer of toner. When using that setting on onionskin paper, it is unnecessary to have to use a spray fixative.

So, it looks like I am going to have to purchase a new printer pretty soon. I found the 1012 model for sale at $350. I think I paid about $150 for mine before it was obsolete. I'm going to look for a similar model that is not priced too high.

The sad thing is that the toner cartridge with the built in image drum costs about $70. I checked the HP specs on the cartridge, and the only model that uses the cartridge I just opened is the 1012. So when I buy a new printer, I won't be able to use the rest of the toner cartridge I just installed on the bad printer.
Mike Hopkins
Dallas, GA
chindog

Postby Terry W » November 19th, 2011, 5:34 am

I have an HP 990 that I used to use. It worked pretty well for transparencies. I still have it for back-up.
I now have an Epson 1280 and 2 Epson 1400's. I one 1400 for dye sub and the other for transparencies and photos.

The 1280 and 1400 both work great. I paid under $200 for the 1400. When printing transparencies for blasting I just print with the black cart, when printing for halftones I use all color.
Terry
Terry W

Postby Jim McDaniel » November 19th, 2011, 8:07 am

Thanks for the replays everyone.
I have a Kodak printer all in one.When i tried to print out a emblem on velum, to transfer to wash out film i could not get it dark enough, even with the spray fixative. So I'm not sure if the printer is not capable of printing this dark or i have not found the right settings.
So i see some of y'all use inkjet some say laser. This has me some what confused.

Jim
Jim McDaniel

Postby Terry W » November 19th, 2011, 8:43 am

Jim I am not familiar with your printer so I can't give you any settings to try. My HP 990 I had to set it to best photo and I think it printed something like 720 dpi. On the 1440 dpi setting it actually printed 2 times and I got a lot of ghosting.

I also have an Epson 600 all in one and it wont print to any kind of transparency no matter what I try.

I have never tried a laser so cant even comment on that for you, sorry.

Someone with your printer should chime in though.
Terry
Terry W

Postby Inga » November 19th, 2011, 1:27 pm

Epson 1400 has always had a lot of rave reviews for photoresist sort of work. But the HP's are suppose to be real workhorses in general - (especially the Office JEt series, if you want to go by "INK OWL'S" recommendations of a couple of years back.)

If you want to do your own refills, I would contact them and ask which printers they are recommending these days. And tell them what the application is.

If you are going to buy your cartridges, then maybe the 1400 is a real good choice. (Epson is not that good for refilling, but I happen to own a 1400 and it is definitely doable. I use INK OWL'S refillable tanks on it).

Just my two bits,
Inga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSJv5ta9hwU
Inga

Postby Inga » November 19th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Just one more tid-bit - if you think you run across a real steal of a bargain, most of the cheapies have the tri-color ink cartridges these days. They are small and whimpy and you have to change the whole cartridge when just one color runs dry. Even though I own one of those too (long story :? ), I would stay away from them.

~Inga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSJv5ta9hwU
Inga

Next

Return to Laser/Inkjet Printers