• Advertisement

If you had to buy a new printer which one would it be?

• Advertisement

Re: If you had to buy a new printer which one would it be?

Postby Tom Kuhn » November 19th, 2011, 2:46 pm

Inga brings up a good point. Whatever printer you choose, before buying, check for the availability and pricing of refill ink cartridges or toner cartridges. My son has a customer that comes in every 6-8 months and buys a new printer simply because the printers are on sale and it is cheaper to buy the whole printer than replacement cartridges for his model.

Image   Software Engineer & Webmaster
Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Postby Engraver » November 19th, 2011, 3:14 pm

I have the 1400 and use refillable cartridges with Screenprinters inkjet ink. It is so dense you could put your transparency up against a window and can't see through it. Very easy to refill and cheap compared to getting cartridges. FilmDirectOnline.Com. This is where I get my transparencies from also.

After all....screenprinters use the same methods we do - and have been at it alot longer. They have already perfected what needs to be done to get artwork to develop on photo sensitive films and emulsions. Why re-invent the wheel?

Kevin
Kevin Coughlin
Signs from Above
607 -652-503 9
Jefferson, NY 12093
http://www.SignsFromAboveOnline.Com
www.facebook/signsfromabove
Engraver

Postby Kelly Harris » November 19th, 2011, 6:35 pm

I have an HP Laserjet printer that I love.....loved. Sometimes I'm not too smart and when I purchased it I didn't check to see how much to toner cartridges were. The printer has been sitting idle now for about 6 or 8 months because the cartridges are $90.00 x 4 new or $48.00 x 4 remanufactured.

I also have the Epson 1400, great printer.

Thanks for the advice Kevin, I'm going to look into that.

Kelly
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby David Takes » November 20th, 2011, 1:20 pm

I would buy any lightly used HP LaserJet 1012, 1018, 1020 or 1022. You can get these used off Craigslist or Ebay for $50 - $100. Use the original hp 12A toners, not remanufactured toners. I've been able to keep these stocked up on my shelf for about $35 per cartridge, but I keep an eye out for them all of the time.

If you are going to use RapidMask as a resist material you will have to go with an inkjet to get the best results. Epson is a solid brand the primarily uses a micro piezo printhead that produces some of the finest image results.
David Takes
Expressions Engraved
St. Joseph, Missouri
http://www.expressionsengraved.com
David Takes

Previous

Return to Laser/Inkjet Printers