• Advertisement

Has anyone cut Mylar with their Plotter

• Advertisement

Has anyone cut Mylar with their Plotter

Postby airrat » January 12th, 2013, 7:25 am

I was wanting to make some stencils out of Mylar for keeping around. They are ones I use on painting and would just make it a little easier. I have cut the real thin stuff but it does not last (the 0.001 -.010). I have been looking at the 4 mil and the 7.5 mil. I know they are fairly rigid.

Thanks
Tom
Chandler Az
airrat

Re: Has anyone cut Mylar with their Plotter

Postby Forum Studio » January 14th, 2013, 10:11 pm

3-4 mil mylar can be cut with almost any plotter. 5 ,7 ,10 mil mylar needs more downforce and adjustment other parameters (speed, offset, blade depth etc.).I buy mylar in rolls and prepare for cutting myself ( one or two layers of application tape depends what thickness of mylar I use ) but you can also order stencil film on removable carrying sheet from http://bren.org/
I use Graphtec FC8000 and will be glad to share parameter settings and my experience.

Cesar
Forum Studio

Postby airrat » January 15th, 2013, 9:44 am

Hi Cesar
Thanks,

I use a APD Extreme PD 2400. When I ordered it, there were suppose to upgrade it to be able to handle heavy duty sandblast vinyl. I called them yesterday and they looked up my order and called me back and said my plotter would have no problem with mylar. Their new ones have a setting in the menu for it but mine does not. He told me their tech said to use a 45 degree blade and run the "test cut" program for down force. He was going to have the tech email if he had cut any to get some ranges to start with for the pressure.

I am looking for the mylar with nothing on the backside. I want to use it with airbrushing.
Tom
Chandler Az
airrat

Postby Forum Studio » January 17th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Hi Tom,
Your plotter has 500 g of down force so you can cut mylar thicker then 7 mil,maybe up to 12 mil.The carrying sheet (with adhesive) holds the design being cut together .When cutting
process is complete ,flip and peel off carrying sheet( with adhesive).The stencil is just clean mylar.
Usually air brush stencils are small and can be cut on cutting mat for "Cricut"(cutting device but not plotter) .This is stiffer piece of plastic about 12in x 24in with printed grid and one sticky side.The matt is reusable.Lay mylar flat on sticky side ,cut and peel your design off..Remember,do some test cuts and set parameters correctly.Cutting matts can be purchased in Walmart in crafts section.
Cesar
Forum Studio

Postby airrat » January 17th, 2013, 6:21 pm

I ordered a cutting mat online a few months back just for this purpose. Then got busy at work and with orders so its been sitting there waiting for me to get back to finishing setting up.

It looks like I will order some from bren next week along with some of their vmask to try out.

Thanks Cesar

Tom
Tom
Chandler Az
airrat

Return to Vinyl Cutters/Plotters