• Advertisement

Thought I was losing my mind

• Advertisement

Thought I was losing my mind

Postby Engraver » May 2nd, 2012, 12:11 pm

Cut the paint mask for a 55" window today, masked it, and went to apply it to the window. The customer left me the moding which has the exact opening needed to show the design. I started to put the masked design on the window to properly place it in position - and just for fun grabbed the molding and placed it over the masked design. 3/16" border on each side but None on the top or bottom.

Re-measured the moulding opening, remeasured the cut masked paint mask - yep no top/bottom border. Go look at the artwork - Measures the way it should but the paint mask is cut almost a 1/2" longer then the cutting design is supposed to be. Broke out the pen and cut a new piece (with the pen and measured) and it sure enough was lengthing the design. Drew a 12"x12" square and determined that the plotter motors were adding a 1/8" approx. to every length of foot cut. So I adjusted my X axis stepper motor from 39.37 steps down to 39.12 steps to get the approx. length of the design I want to cut (within 1/32"). The width was running fine but the maximum it has to ever go is 29".

So a good test to run now/then is the "plot a square test" and measure it up so you don't get surprised like I did and think you have lost your mind. Of course this is my cheapy plotter in which I never ran this test in all the years I have used it. It may have been off the entire time or maybe the motors are beginning to go - unsure at this time. Most designs I do are not that measurement critical, but it sure does do some explaning on why registration marks on smaller cut items didn't line up with longer cut items - it was always off a hair or so. hmmmm.

Kevin
Kevin Coughlin
Signs from Above
607 -652-503 9
Jefferson, NY 12093
http://www.SignsFromAboveOnline.Com
www.facebook/signsfromabove
Engraver

Return to Vinyl Cutters/Plotters