• Advertisement

D Drive

• Advertisement

D Drive

Postby Kelly Harris » November 19th, 2013, 7:22 am

My laptop seems to be getting more and more bogged down and I'm wondering if it's because the C drive is almost full. I also have a D drive that I haven't touched yet and am wondering if I should and which files I should transfer over to it. My laptop is used for personal, business and now genealogy. The bulk of it being business stuff with graphics, customer files and photos.

I'm also curious what to do with my emails. I save all customer emails as I refer back to them every once in a while (for repeat customers). Do they take up much room? If they do then how do I deal with them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kelly
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Re: D Drive

Postby Terry W » November 19th, 2013, 9:48 am

Kelly I have 2 external hard drives to cram stuff on. There pretty cheap now a days. My computers get loaded with pictures. High res graphics and pictures are the storage hogs. Is your D drive a partition or an actual drive? The D dive on both my laptop and desktop are partitions and small. Just large enough to hold operating system and start up files.

Sorry not much help for you. Here is a warm thought headed you way. :C: . 85 yesterday. :TU:
Terry
Terry W

Postby Kelly Harris » November 19th, 2013, 12:36 pm

I have no idea what a partition is. The D drive has the same size storage space as the C drive if that helps.

Thanks for the warm thoughts Terry although 85 degrees is much too hot for me. I'll take what we've got today over 85 any day. It's 3 degrees, -17 with the windchill (that's fahrenheit not celcius).

DSCF1328.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby Terry W » November 19th, 2013, 1:17 pm

A partition is just like cutting your HD space up. If it a 500 gig hard drive you could partition it up any way you see fit. I am no expert on any of that. I just know enough to get me into trouble. If you have all the space on your D drive you may be able to just drag and drop maybe your picture folder or something like that??? I don't know if that would mess up programs looking for those files or not. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge on the subject could chime in. I know you can't do that with a program but you may be able to do that with the others??? :B:

Haven't seen any of that white stuff for a few years. Don't really miss it much. What's it called again :HAHA:
Terry
Terry W

Postby bernie » November 19th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Brrrr ... looks too cold for me!

I'd take the 85 any day over the 50ish we have, gray sky and wet.

Bernie
bernie

Postby kuluchicken » November 19th, 2013, 5:03 pm

Not an expert at all, but I think normally the d-drive on a laptop is your operating system.

I would also suggest that you rather buy an external drive and store information there to free up some space. It also serves the dual purpose of serving as a back-up if your laptop were to fail.

It's very easy to share information between the two, it's just like a flash disk, but more reliable.

It may help if you do 'that clean up thing' :) ...can't remember the name, where windows compresses the information and tidies up everything...I'm sure someone will chirp in with the correct terminology.

Good luck

Michele
kuluchicken

Postby StrikingStone » November 19th, 2013, 5:26 pm

The operating system can be installed on any drive letter, but is normally installed on the C: drive.

To answer your question Kelly, yes. Yes, your PC will slow down drastically as the C: drive gets close to capacity.

There are many different options: moving files to the D: drive or external drives, cleaning up temporary files, unneeded files and programs, and also compressing the data. I do not recommend compressing the data, as this will also slow things down (the system must decompress everything in real-time to use it.)

Since you have not touched your D: drive, I recommend moving your static files to it. These would include photos, videos, music etc that applications do not need to access (like email).

Email files can be large if they contain large attachments like photos, videos and music. Moving email files is a bit more difficult and touchy depending on your email client.

Start off by moving the static files and see where that gets you, then you can look into moving email files if you need to.

Good luck!
Oakley Rolwing
Phoenix Arizona
www.StrikingStone.com
StrikingStone

Postby wayne p » November 20th, 2013, 5:30 am

Like Terry, I use external drives for almost everything. I have separate ones for photos, graphics, etc. My C drive is primarily running only programs. This keeps the speed up and if I need to reload (after a crash) I'm only dealing with loading programs that I have software for. Also when I upgrade my computer it is a lot less hassle because I don't have a lot to transfer.
wayne p

Postby Charles » November 20th, 2013, 10:12 am

RUN A DEFRAG ON UR C DRIVE
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby Charles » November 20th, 2013, 10:17 am

I for a couple years all of my design and layouts I have put on pen/zip removal drives...only the OS and actual Programs on the HDD. I have been changin that over to the Google drive, for free cloud google storage. That allows me to access my information from anywhere I have an internet connection FOR FREE....
When you check into Google drive you will see you have access to the equivalent of Microsoft Office FOR FREE. You can do documents, spread sheets, etc from your google drive.

Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Next

Return to Windows Based Computers