• Advertisement

New Server

• Advertisement

New Server

Postby Charles » September 7th, 2011, 9:21 pm

Am I having fun or what?
I think the what as of now....We are interested in offering a new service for monuments, it is something I dont feel will be a real money maker but in the digital age we feel it is important to be knowlegable in the latest rage in the industry. The latest are QR codes u know those weird little squares with black squiggles in um. Well the code can contain any of several data points most use of the QR code is a web addy embedded on it.
What does that do for me?
Well it is being used in my industry to offer more information about the individual that has passed, the code will direct a smart device to a site that contains information the family would like disclosed about thier loved one, an obit, pictures etc, all off this funny symbol attached to a monument. And of course it can contain information about the granite, the design and of course the shop that performed the work and set the stone!
Ok back to the having fun, I really needed a new server in this instance a windows box. My old windows server is running windows server 2000, ancient in computer terms! Unsupported lots of exploits for the software.Sooooooo
I have in my hands a shiny new copy of server 2008, and putting together a new box some of yesterdays hardware dual zenon 2.8 ghz cpu's only 1 meg of ram todate, 2-500 gig hdd's will be run in raid 1 cnf. Nothing really fancy and again not todays hardware but all new.
Main board is an intel board as well as the case. So when it is done and on line it should be the box the QR codes will point to, why windows wellllll this data isnt something that has to be on line 24-7-365 the server can suffer hiccups like all windows software, I am interested in the ease of data entry!
I also miss my FTP server , I used the FTP server for my layout work master files artwork and it serves as another data backup for all this work.
Working from home well I had no need to bring any of that data home with the laptop, everything is there in the ftp server, accessable from anywhere there is an internet no forgetting anything! Not only that data but a year ago I started scanning the contracts into the computer, at this point I have NO need to carry any paper with me anywhere, the contract I work off of is accesable as well as all the layout data.
Yes it is all password protected but also in ftp mode you HAVE to have the file path to the data.
O well fun fun !
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Re: New Server

Postby JESS » September 7th, 2011, 10:09 pm

Folks-
BEWARE! This man is from a future planet, and speaks a language only aliens can understand! (All you member Aliens are encouraged to speak up). :ugeek:
Charles, I don't know about everyone else, but the details are beyond me. I understand what you are doing, and why you are doing it, and am SO pleased that you are willing to share your knowledge. Thank you! Please excuse me, and probably a few others, if we cannot exactly follow your expertise. This sounds like a wonderful time to request an in-depth tutorial for our forum, helping to explain the technology involved in setting this up. I recall just about going nuts when bar codes were new, and several of our customers required us to use them. Then, it was alien stuff, today, totally commonplace. First question-- can you etch the code, or must it be attached via a plate?
Second question-- Can the technology be applied like implanting a chip in an animal?
Keep up the good work.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Gordon » September 8th, 2011, 5:12 am

Charles,
Interesting idea. Now this may be a dumb question but......are you engraving the QR Code onto the head stone? or a temporary Tag and just keep the information on the server for a short time (i.e. week....to a year).

Are you not going to be installing/setting up FTP on your server? I think (at this time) the FTP server would have more Bang for the Buck (Clients uploading Photo's of Relatives for engraving). The QR Code should be at the funeral home and the family posts it in the paper. Just my thought.....

G

P.S. Great thinking ahead! Love your thinking for the raid. Do you also do an off site backup?
Gordon

Postby Charles » September 8th, 2011, 6:45 am

The industry at this point is using a piece of aluminum wih the QR code on it, kevin ( Engraver) is helping with that end of the process , the aluminum is attached to flat markers with an epoxy, for a 2 piece upright monument a portion of the aluminum is UNDER the Die to keep it in place. The norm at this time seems to be a 3 year grauantee on the code and the data kept in a server for 50.00 to 75.00.
BUT for any of you that is producing work the public can see this code is as small as a 3/4 inch square, your business url can be the content fo the qr code and maybe a /file for that piece of work if it is notable enough for remarks.
Well Not alien, I was introduced to this at the MAMBA meeting, more and more vendors are going this route because we a the public is lazy and like out smart fones to scan a code and take us to the website, no tupeing with thumbs.

1st question from Jess, attached by a small plate.
2nd much like a chip but seeable and the content can be as small as By jeco Glass with no website to go to, or a pointer to a full blown webpage.
There are several FREE code generaters out there you can either download or put the info in and you save the outputted code as a jpg file.
IT IS OPEN SOURCE software, the techknowlegy is all FREE , your cost is simply implementing it for your business.

Our little home town paper is using the code on articles, directing the smart device to an audio file of the article as an example how a newspaper will use the code.
Ahhh contact your local police dept a phone number and the code which scanned eliminates the dialing.
ETC ETC.

It has been used in Japan for about 10 years, it is a huge sucess in Europe, just catching on here in North America.
From what I have read Toyota Motor Corp. Needed something scannable with more content then a simple barcode could give them to aide thier automated assembly process, thus the QR code was born.

ALien na just a couple months ahead on research on the idea, I am sure a BUNCH in this forum will catch on quicker then I do.

Gordon yeah the FTP server is as important to me as the www server, and yes I burn 3 cd's monthly and carry them to different places as simple as in different vehicles. That is for the .plt files art work etc.

I do need a commercial online repository for my customer files, Kevin was telling me about a service he uses I am interested in.
But with the FTP server it is also a very easy and simple process to just DL that months folder to a computer at home as well as on 2 here at the shop.
I have started installing network cameras that will upload motion activated files in the ftp server here in the shop, as well as bein able to access them from the www. with any browser.
As far as a tutorial when I get it implemented I will be happy to share, at this point I am flying by the seat of my britches and I bet when I get a little further along if I ask Tom Nice he will help with computer technical issues, he is the expert, I am definately NOT.

Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby Charles » September 9th, 2011, 8:19 am

Well I have all the hardware together, some things wont happen right now like the raid card, it dont like server 2008. Not a biggie I can mirror it later.
Still loading upgrades and updates for the software. BUt it is uyp and running. The IIS panel is a lot different then server 2000 so looks like a learning curve.
Kevin has gotten way ahead of me on putting the QR codes on aluminum tabs, looks like I am the slow end of this deal!
I will let him go further but I think he has interest in some of his customers wanting a QR code embedded on some of the signage he is making to direct a customer to thier website?
Kevin can xplain further! But the new box is busy doing something from microsoft, loading update 18 out of 57 I think . UGH

Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby KBrownlee » September 10th, 2011, 7:21 am

:D Really cool stuff Charles!
My friend in the banner business tried cutting one of those once! It cut fine...just a real pita to weed!!!! :E: He now sends his real estate folk to a print shop down the street for the QR codes.

Seeing this makes me wonder how we in the glass business can implement this?

Kerri in Arkansas
KBrownlee
2011 Flake-Of-The-Year Contest Winner
2011 Flake-Of-The-Year Contest Winner

Return to Windows Based Computers