• Advertisement

Networking

• Advertisement

Networking

Postby Charles » February 6th, 2011, 7:28 pm

This isnt a question but some information for those that would like internet into thier shop, share with the next house over, and the distance is such that a hard wired cable isnt feasable or the distance it such that the homeowner wireless bridge is not feasable and the cost of a high power bridge is prohibitive!

In my case I put together a bridge a few years ago using some Netgear access points in thebridge mode and removed the little antenna and bought some good very directional antennas , this worked well untill everybody and thier brother is now using the 2.4 Ghz band for cell fones for home wireless, my little low power nodes were simply over whelmed with higher power signals.

I started looking for a reasonably cost answer and came up with a product trademarked Nanobridge M5 the M5 designates it operates in the 5Ghz band away from the crowded 2.4 Ghz band but is very very line of sight oriented, with nothing in the way this bridge will work for 10 miles or more!

Cost retail 79.00 a node or 158.00 for a pair to build the bridge, this includes the antenna, radio and the POE device!
THIS IS FOR the money in line of sight work the best thing out there! It works great. Now the units mounts OUTSIDE and your data cable has to be pulled to t he antenna itself! This is actually a PLUS for the functionability of the unit! The POE device is inserted in the data cable between the switch-router and the unit, This powers the radio over the data cable.

This unit has a small price and some really professional features!!!!!
So if your shop is 1000 ft from ur house and you want internet in it..well for 160.00 it can happen!
I am bridging a half a mile, I cannot get adsl but my dad can, so I pay for the adsl on his fone, and bridge it here, the price of the adsl supplied in bundle form is half satellite cost, a nd 15.00 a month less then what the local wireless people charge!!!

The setup is clunky, there is no real instructions in the box. The sellers assume a pro will install the system. BUT they do have a good web site where the manual is placed and a forum staffed by thier pros to answer questions, the set up is definately different then the setup on my netgear units but they are designed to do more and different things!

To sum it up, for anyone needing to shoot wireless to another building past the point of normal access point range and hard wire isnt feasable. This equipment is the best for the money period!

Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Re: Networking

Postby Engraver » February 6th, 2011, 8:24 pm

geez...................I'm just trying to get a tv signal into my computer room :oops:
Kevin Coughlin
Signs from Above
607 -652-503 9
Jefferson, NY 12093
http://www.SignsFromAboveOnline.Com
www.facebook/signsfromabove
Engraver

Postby JESS » February 6th, 2011, 8:55 pm

Charles-
We will discuss this further when I get some extra time! It would be a pain to hardwire my studio, which is in a hangar on my property. Thank you!
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby bernie » February 6th, 2011, 9:25 pm

Great information. I need to figure this one out - can you use the internet from more than one place at the
same time?

Bernie
bernie

Postby Charles » February 7th, 2011, 7:53 am

Using the 5ghz band your wireless equipment wont see it, as such and you dont want it to, all you want it to is bridge the gap.
So the 2 nodes set up as a bridge, one in access point mode the other in station mode. You lock one onto the other! Ignore everythying else. Then the one on the end of the line plug into a switch, a 4 or 6 port switch is like 20.00 .
You purchase a wireless acess point, they cost 15.00 and up, plug it into the switch, that allows wireless in the area you bridged to, if you wish hard wire all over the 2nd building then maybe a 12 or 24 port switch is the answer.
It looks like my link speed is about 120mps on the wireless bridge. I actually reduced txmit powert on each end to about 1/2 because I have a full scale signal reading still at 1/2 output power.
The radios has a led signal stregnth meter built in the antenna so you can actually aim the dishes, the dish antenna is about 14" in diameter, the radio is built into the antenna unit a really slick setup!
But again 5ghz wont penetrate trees it is a line of sight only frequency.
These folks has other equipment for penetrating trees. Pricier by about double but still less expensive then the alternatives!
http://www.ubnt.com/ is thier website

Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby Ginger » February 7th, 2011, 9:36 am

Thanks, Charles, this is really great information. I need to shoot internet over to my studio, which is a separate building on the same property as our home. I will pass this along to the other person in this household . . . the one who can actually understand what you said and implement it :P
Ginger
My studio includes: Denver glass kiln, Skutt ceramics kiln, Jen-Ken kiln, compressor, sandblast setup, lap grinder, two ring saws, hand-held water-fed grinder, plotter, UV exposure unit. I work in glass, concrete, clay, metal, and stone.
Ginger

Postby KBrownlee » February 7th, 2011, 4:57 pm

:C: Line of sight...that wouldn't work for me, as I have trees in the way. My shop is metal...would that interfere?

I just carry my air card over the the shop, hook up the little antenna and off I go...but, I only have one card and two computers. SO, we can't both be online at the same time. I can hook up my cell phone...when I down load the program again onto the new hard drive... :evil: Sometimes a new toy isn't as convienent as the old one was!

Kerri in Arkansas
KBrownlee
2011 Flake-Of-The-Year Contest Winner

Postby Charles » February 8th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Trees not so good, they have a produce using a lower frequency that works thru trees, the antennas are outside so the metal building will not be a bother.
But with an air card the best thing to do is just move the card and u have internet where you are at!
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby KBrownlee » February 8th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Yes, we just carry it with us. And sometimes we lose it...one thinking the other has it :Crazy:

Kerri in Arkansas
KBrownlee

Postby Charles » March 8th, 2011, 1:21 pm

As a follow up the new bridge is working fantastic!

Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Next

Return to Windows Based Computers