• Advertisement

I PASSED!!!!!!

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Re: I PASSED!!!!!!

Postby Ginger » August 24th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Thank you! Thank you! The buzz hasn't worn off yet :D
My studio includes: Denver glass kiln, Skutt ceramics kiln, Jen-Ken kiln, compressor, sandblast setup, lap grinder, two ring saws, hand-held water-fed grinder, plotter, UV exposure unit. I work in glass, concrete, clay, metal, and stone.
Ginger

Postby Engraver » August 24th, 2010, 7:22 pm

Congrats...Whats the first project going to be?

Kevin
Kevin Coughlin
Signs from Above
607 -652-503 9
Jefferson, NY 12093
http://www.SignsFromAboveOnline.Com
www.facebook/signsfromabove
Engraver

Postby Ginger » August 25th, 2010, 7:25 am

Thanks, Kevin. My first project is going to be to make a complete set of pate de verre samples in all the Bullseye colors. What the *!$%&*, you may ask, is she talking about????
Well . . . this forum is more about sandcarving than kiln casting, but I'll be combining the two disciplines. I love tiles (which, when you make them bigger, become panels . . . backsplashes . . . table tops . . . room dividers . . . etc.) and what I want to do is first kiln cast the pieces, then etch them. Pate de verre is a technique of glass forming in which glass frits and powders are mixed together in precisely controlled quantities (so that you have great control over the color and appearance of the finished product). Then this glass paste ("pate de verre," in French) is packed into a one-time-use mold and fired in a kiln until the glass particles fuse together. In order to be able to predict what your piece will look like when finished, it's enormously useful to have a sample set of how all the glass powders look when mixed with clear powder or frit in varying proportions. It's hard to tell what they'll look like just by looking at the powders, which tend to look pale and drab in their ground-up form.

Bullseye Glass, one of the best-known manufacturers of COE-compatible glass for "hot glass" and "warm glass" artists, just opened a resource center (i.e., a store/training facility) in Santa Fe, and I'm heading down there today to buy all the powders and frits I need to start. There are almost 100 colors, and I'm making 8 small samples per color, so it's a big project!

Here's the website of a woman who is doing fantastic work in this medium, and maintains an equally fantastic blog:
http://www.morganica.com/
Enjoy!

Ginger
My studio includes: Denver glass kiln, Skutt ceramics kiln, Jen-Ken kiln, compressor, sandblast setup, lap grinder, two ring saws, hand-held water-fed grinder, plotter, UV exposure unit. I work in glass, concrete, clay, metal, and stone.
Ginger

Postby Engraver » August 25th, 2010, 8:47 am

sounds pretty cool, can't wait to see some pics of what your talking about.

kevin
Kevin Coughlin
Signs from Above
607 -652-503 9
Jefferson, NY 12093
http://www.SignsFromAboveOnline.Com
www.facebook/signsfromabove
Engraver

Postby Sammy » August 25th, 2010, 10:53 am

Congratulations,
Start blasting to make up for time lost.
good luck
Sammy
Sammy

Postby Ginger » August 25th, 2010, 12:54 pm

Thanks, Sammy! I'll be blasting in between kiln loads!

Kevin, I will post pictures as soon as the first batch of "cookies' comes out of the kiln. It will take me several days just to get a suitable kiln shelf prepared for my big kiln -- multiple firings of a ceramic fiberboard, and shimming with stainless steel shims to make sure everything is perfectly level.

In the meantime, here is the website of Alicia Lomné, who is teaching a class that I JUST SIGNED UP FOR (!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!) in November at Bullseye:

http://www.alicialomne.com/

The new class schedule came out yesterday, and by the time I went in to the Bullseye store this morning to buy those frits, the class was half full already, so I just bit the bullet and signed up. Can't wait! Hopefully by then I'll have enough experience under my belt, making those infinitely graduated color samples, so I won't be the total newbie in the class. :roll:

Ginger
Ginger

Postby jhenryw49 » August 25th, 2010, 1:33 pm

that good to hear now you can get down to some creating some art.

Jack
jhenryw49

Postby Ginger » August 25th, 2010, 8:07 pm

You bet! :P
Ginger

Postby Coppers Lot » August 26th, 2010, 1:53 pm

Well done Ginger.
How bigs your kiln if your making table tops?
40lb pressure pot with inga mods, compressor,leaky cabinet thingy with syphon,letralite with red thingy,graphtec 3000-60 BRAND NEW = 1/8" PAB Gun and tips. Special Pressure Poy for Xmas.
http://www.worldofglasscraft.com
Coppers Lot

Postby Ginger » August 26th, 2010, 2:55 pm

The interior dimensions are 36" wide x 78" long x 11" high. It was custom made and I chose these dimensions because I wanted to be able to make a piece 30" x 72". This leaves me 3" all around for a mold or dams, and air circulation. Once the length and width were determined, I went for the most height I could get and still come in under 18 cubic feet, which is the maximum that I can run on my single-phase residential power.

Her name is Babe. For those of you who are not up on your folklore, this is a reference to Paul Bunyan's great blue ox. Here, I'll post a couple of pictures so you can see the resemblance. In fact, my Babe looks so much like Bunyan's Babe that I'm thinking of posting them on http://www.totallylookslike.com :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ginger

PreviousNext

Return to Can we Talk !