• Advertisement

Snakes

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Snakes

Postby Charles » August 21st, 2010, 7:43 am

I am not real fond of snakes, ANY snake. But I not particullary afraid of um either. This AM opening up the shop, and it is dark when I roll the big doors open, opening the door on the east end of the building I have some light since I had the smaller south door rolled up, unlocking the door reaching down for the handle in the darkness as the door opened was a black snake about 4 ft long laying next to the door on the inside, I received my morning buzz in adrenelin form instead of caffine from coffee, some how it had waundered in while I wasnt lookin!
Sheesh

Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Re: Snakes

Postby gemsbym » August 21st, 2010, 7:50 am

We had the same happened at our house a few weeks ago by the door. I'm so glad it was my husband who saw it and not me.
Miriam :)
gemsbym

Postby Tom Kuhn » August 21st, 2010, 9:02 am

When I was young (14-17), I had a job at a commercial greenhouse that grew mums. Mums require a specific amount of light to set buds. In the winter we had strings of lights strung over the beds on timers to supplement the natural light, and in the summer we had huge black tarps we covered the beds with every afternoon and removed them the next morning to limit the amount of light in the summer. In the winter, the tarps would set on shelves in the boiler rooms. Mice would get in there and make nests in the tarps, and chew holes in them. We were constantly sewing up holes in those tarps. Light coming through just one of those holes in the summer would keep 4 or 5 plants from blooming. The mice in the area attracted black snakes to live in the greenhouses, they had a steady supply of food, and because they ate the mice the owner wanted to keep them there. There were times that they'd shed their skin and we'd find 6' and 8' skins left behind. They were huge. I never really minded them much except when they were hanging among the pipes at the low points in the roofs of the houses and you had to duck under them to get from one house to the next. :shock:

Image   Software Engineer & Webmaster
Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Postby NikkiInMd » August 21st, 2010, 9:08 am

<shiver> snakes... YIKES! lol Don't like them at ALL.

I was fishing off some rocks with a friend of mine one day, she spots a snake out in the water coming our way, she decides to toss some pebbles in the water to deter it from coming in, she turned around to tell me that she did not think he was going to leave... I was already up on the road waiting on her. lol I had my line in, tackle box all closed up and up the rocks I went! lol
NikkiInMd

Postby Kiko » August 21st, 2010, 10:24 am

Holy Cow Charles,

I think I would have had a coronary on the spot!! I love bugs, but hate snakes (it must be a biblical thing), and can go from zero to sixty when I HEAR there's a snake in the vicinity....In the opposite direction that is....

My scary snake story (one of too many) was back in my teen years when I was a competitive equestrian. I had to muck out my horse's stall every day, using a pitchfork to toss the soiled hay into a wheelbarrow. One day I pitched an 8' black snake into the air... Oh, sooo not good... He lived (I really didn't want to kill him), but not sure I was ever the same! Sheesh is right, Charles! Shiver me timbers, Kiko :cry: :? :shock:
Ikonics Navigator, CrystalBlast, SandCarver II. I/R compressors, pencil blaster, Somaca belt sander. Kilns, flat lap, Revolution XT saw. Nuarc 40-1K, Illy & CD, Graphtec 30" plotter. Iwata airbrush, Wacom Intuos 3. Nikon D90 camera.
Kiko

Postby Inga » August 21st, 2010, 11:15 am

I used to walk around the house with a snake (or two) hanging around my neck. No biggie. Essentially, they are clean, smooth, quiet and docile.
For some reason, it didn't go over too big with Mom, though. :dunno:
Just stay clear of rattlers and poisonous snakes.

~Inga Mae Clampett, Ellie Mae Clampett's long lost sister
Last edited by Inga on August 21st, 2010, 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSJv5ta9hwU
Inga

Postby KBrownlee » August 21st, 2010, 1:09 pm

I too, like the others (except Inga) don't like snakes. IMHO the ONLY good snake is a DEAD one! :TU:

I have had my run in's with snakes and have lived to tell about them...not so for the snakes! I stepped on a black snake one summer at my Aunt and Uncle's farm! Before I could stop shaking long enough to tell my Uncle (who already had the shot gun out), the farm dog (a collie) already had the snake in his mouth and was taking care of business with it! The dog was fine, he was an expert at killing snakes. He was also my hero! He died several years later when he tangled with a rattlesnake.

My step son has a snake in an aqurium in the house :E: I won't be house sitting any time soon!

If I haven't said it. EEEEKKKK! :E:

Kerri in Arkansas
KBrownlee
2011 Flake-Of-The-Year Contest Winner
2011 Flake-Of-The-Year Contest Winner

Postby Charles » August 21st, 2010, 4:57 pm

I do think the thing was more suprised then I. I allways open the doors in the dark, takes to long for the metal halide lights to fire up ....So ma hand was only a couple feet from the thing unlatching the door. Anyhow I see a need for some different lighting to open up by, LMAO
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby bernie » August 21st, 2010, 6:28 pm

I think snakes are just fine ... as long as they are no where near me.

Really ... I am not afraid of snakes but guaranteed that would have scared the ---- out of me and I would
never open the garage door again without a good flood / flashlight!

YIKES!!!!!!

Bernie
bernie

Postby NikkiInMd » August 22nd, 2010, 7:08 am

One thing to keep in mind when you do see a black snake and think they are harmless... They have been known to mate with copperheads. Just sharing some info that you might not be aware of. :)
NikkiInMd

Next

Return to Can we Talk !