• Advertisement

Lesson learned today...

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Lesson learned today...

Postby NikkiInMd » August 20th, 2010, 10:39 am

I often will etch the back of a mirror and paint it. I came across some small oval frames that I liked, so I etched on the mirror then painted it.

I let it dry for a few days since I was not worried about peeling off the resist. I sprayed on some glue then applied felt. Trimmed it up all nice and neat and put it on the table. I went back to get them this morning and realized that the glue had eaten through some of the paint and let nasty looking spots. (Rustoleum paint)

I will see if I can save them since the stencil is still on. I pulled the felt off and cleaned off as much glue as I could without lifting the stencil. I will try blasting them again just enough to clean them up so I can re-paint.

I will in the future make sure that I apply something to the painted area before spraying it with glue. I have an old roll of vinyl laying around and that should work to shield the paint from the glue.

Just wanted to share that with everyone. :)
NikkiInMd

Re: Lesson learned today...

Postby Tom Kuhn » August 20th, 2010, 11:38 am

Nikki, good warning. I wonder if you'd been able to get by with spraying the adheasive on the felt, and then placing the mirror on that rather than spraying on the back of the mirror and paint directly...

Image   Software Engineer & Webmaster
Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Re: Lesson learned today...

Postby bernie » August 20th, 2010, 3:36 pm

could you not pull all the resist off ... clean it up ... then repaint. Won't matter if paint gets on the mirror backing.

Bernie
bernie

Return to Can we Talk !