• Advertisement

Insurance and getting jobs

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Insurance and getting jobs

Postby Engraver » August 16th, 2010, 11:10 am

I was given this job last week with some changes to it that were supposed to be discussed today. After the discussion of the changes(for window lettering), I was aked to bring a copy of my insurance certificate. This is the first time (Other than major "by the book" businesses) have asked for one. I'm glad I have it or I wouldn't be doing the job.

I guess with the economy and all people are getting more careful with everything they do.

I think alot of people consider it an extra expense...but I see it as "better to be protected...than sorry" Depending on your area and what you do...a couple of jobs MAY pay for it so you don't have to worry about it in this suit-happy world we live in...and it may even get you a job or two to pay for it.

Kevin
Kevin Coughlin
Signs from Above
607 -652-503 9
Jefferson, NY 12093
http://www.SignsFromAboveOnline.Com
www.facebook/signsfromabove
Engraver

Re: Insurance and getting jobs

Postby Ginger » August 16th, 2010, 11:17 am

I couldn't agree with you more, Kevin. One accident could wipe you out -- even if it wasn't even your fault. One sign that falls on somebody's head . . . one shower door that breaks when somebody slips and crashes against it . . . and you could be out of business, and (depending on your business structure) out of a home, too. Better safe than sorry.
Ginger
My studio includes: Denver glass kiln, Skutt ceramics kiln, Jen-Ken kiln, compressor, sandblast setup, lap grinder, two ring saws, hand-held water-fed grinder, plotter, UV exposure unit. I work in glass, concrete, clay, metal, and stone.
Ginger

Postby JESS » August 16th, 2010, 11:35 am

Or one table top squashing a Poodle?
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Ginger » August 16th, 2010, 11:46 am

Yes. Any kind of puddle is undesirable and could sink you!
My studio includes: Denver glass kiln, Skutt ceramics kiln, Jen-Ken kiln, compressor, sandblast setup, lap grinder, two ring saws, hand-held water-fed grinder, plotter, UV exposure unit. I work in glass, concrete, clay, metal, and stone.
Ginger

Postby KBrownlee » August 16th, 2010, 4:21 pm

I agree. We have recently upped our limits on the business insurance because my plans are to move more into the remodeling aspect of the business. It is worth the cost in my opinion...squeshed puddles and everything.

Kerri in Arkansas
KBrownlee
2011 Flake-Of-The-Year Contest Winner
2011 Flake-Of-The-Year Contest Winner

Return to Can we Talk !