• Advertisement

Removing paint mask

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Removing paint mask

Postby Michael » August 10th, 2010, 4:17 pm

Finally finish a mirror. I will show pics as soon as I frame it. But my problem is I etched the back ground and left the paint mask on the graphic(Mirror). Then painted the back ground with Krylon spay paint. When I tried to remove the paint mask vinyl, the paint started to peel up off the back ground . Could someone tell me what I may be doing wrong. Thanks
Michael

Re: Removing paint mask

Postby Tom Kuhn » August 10th, 2010, 4:30 pm

Michael, I've always left the mask on the back. Who's going to notice, and what's it going to hurt. The way I figure it, it's one less step and one less chance to screw something up. :lol:

Image   Software Engineer & Webmaster
Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Postby Michael » August 10th, 2010, 4:36 pm

Thanks Tom. Thats exactly what I did. I was hoping the paint mask would not start to peel off by it self from humidity or something and start pulling up the paint after I sold one. I think that is the best Idea Tom, thanks again.
Michael

Postby NikkiInMd » August 10th, 2010, 5:45 pm

If I am framing the mirror, I always leave the mask on also. If I want it to look finished, I leave the mask on and glue a piece of felt over it.
NikkiInMd

Postby Engraver » August 10th, 2010, 6:32 pm

If you ever want to remove masking when painting, the masking should be removed when the paint is tacky and not fully dried. I never wait till the paint dries - maybe i'm just a little bit eager to see what it looks like. Everything I have ever read or has been told to me is that the mask s/b removed before the paint is dry.

Kevin
Kevin Coughlin
Signs from Above
607 -652-503 9
Jefferson, NY 12093
http://www.SignsFromAboveOnline.Com
www.facebook/signsfromabove
Engraver

Postby Ginger » August 10th, 2010, 7:01 pm

The same is true of masking tape when you are painting anything -- I used to do a lot of faux finishes and always removed the tape after the paint had set up enough to not be drippy anymore, but was still fresh enough that it hadn't actually hardened into a film.
My studio includes: Denver glass kiln, Skutt ceramics kiln, Jen-Ken kiln, compressor, sandblast setup, lap grinder, two ring saws, hand-held water-fed grinder, plotter, UV exposure unit. I work in glass, concrete, clay, metal, and stone.
Ginger

Postby JESS » August 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm

When I plan to remove the mask, such as when someone is going to install the mirror with mastic, I remove the resist while the paint is still tacky, and immediately spray on a fresh coat to cover any boo boos. The mastic will stick to paint, but NOT to vinyl.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Return to Can we Talk !