• Advertisement

Here I Is

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Here I Is

Postby Sunny » August 20th, 2018, 5:18 pm

The drought here almost got the best of me. I've been deep watering a slew of trees here at home in typically 100 degree temps. I did manage to keep them all alive during the drought, and finally it began to rain again. My old beater sandblaster decided it wanted to work again, a miracle. So I have reduced my images to about 3/4 of an inch. I have my acetate already made and am ready to wash. My intent is to blast the back of crystal pendants to provide multi dimensional images. My question is this: What do I call this process of blasting from the back and carving into the crystal. Is there a good word for it? Thanks :dunno:
Choose life in all thngs
Sunny

Re: Here I Is

Postby Sunny » August 22nd, 2018, 11:05 am

Well I have had 12 views and no replies. Soooo, it seems that we are now able to create a name for that process. Hmmmm...any ideas? :C:
Choose life in all thngs
Sunny

Postby Sunny » August 22nd, 2018, 11:17 am

Ok, after a few minutes of research I came up with "inverse carved". If you have an idea that seems to communicate better, let me know. :P
Choose life in all thngs
Sunny

Postby Terry W » August 22nd, 2018, 11:28 am

Sunny glad your back up and running.

2nd surface etching/carving. :TU:

!st surface is the side you can touch if you're looking at it, 2nd is the back.

Jess has a post somewhere explaining the different surfaces.

You can call it whatever you want though. It's your piece. :ROFL:

Inverse carved doesn't work for me so I can only imagine trying to explain that to someone that doesn't know anything about glass or etching. How about just simple backside etching?
Terry
Terry W

Postby Sunny » August 22nd, 2018, 5:19 pm

Hi Terry,

I do like your suggestion of 2nd surface carving. It seems an organized way of describing it. I like back surface carved too. I think back surface carved communicates clearly especially to someone reading a product description.

Anyway, I started replacing my cabinet gloves today. Whew....what a job. It has rings on it similar to those found on auto hoses. it took about an hour just to pop the screw and get it moving. I couldn't find 6 1/2 inch gloves anywhere on the net, so i had to purchase a longer glove with a wider opening and trim it to 6 1/2. Hopefully tomorrow I'll finish them. This old table top cabinet just keeps getting upgraded...lol. It kind of reminds me of my old sleeper car. It looked like hell but had a monster under the hood...lol. I loved the look on the drivers face as I blew the fancy hot rod cars away..lol. Who knew? This old cabinet is beat up but has modifications that make it rock! I was glad to get it going again.

Thanks for your help. :RO:
Choose life in all thngs
Sunny

Postby Kelly Harris » August 23rd, 2018, 5:58 am

Hey Sunny,

Do you have a Harbor Freight nearby? It looks like the gloves I get from Princess Auto in Canada https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8133043e are exactly the same as the gloves at Harbor Freight https://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive- ... 62436.html and if so, I really like them because they're quite light. Not big and bulky like other blasting gloves.
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby jhenryw49 » August 23rd, 2018, 6:24 am

Interesting subject on the name of the etching, now I know. You mentioned gloves for the cabinet, i found the gloves to hard to hold my glass or bottles. So being right handed I took off the left glove, used the bottom of a old pair of pants leg for the cabinet and I use a mechanics glove to hold my item to be worked on. This helps me on movement in the cabinet, plus winter I can warm up the glove.

jack
jhenryw49

Postby Sunny » August 23rd, 2018, 11:17 am

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for responding and providing the link. After searching for a long time I ran across these gloves from https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-glove-set.html

Yes on the Harbor Freight cabinet. Their gloves on my unit are 6 1/2 inches. They no longer make them. Eastwood's gloves are too long as described but fit from 6 to 7 inch openings. I trimmed the gloves and they fit very well. The business end of the glove is a bit too heavy duty for delicate work so I will cut the fingers out of them and wear a lighter glove on my hand when using them. It should work. My next issue is backlighting. I do have one light but will need another. I'll be looking for something that is magnetic and can adhere to the cabinet. It's going to be difficult seeing and differentiating the small image parts. I have some ideas that may help that involves light tack resist to place progressively over the image before I blast, and peel them off as I go. It will work somewhat but not as good as a dental blaster. I'm thinking of placing a request on go fund me to cover the dental blaster, a super quiet indoor compressor, and a quality vac system to the outside. I am planning to make a convenient place in my main floor office to blast. I will also eventually use the Ikonics resist that does not require washing. Since the back of the crystals that I carve are flat that would eliminate the need to wash. I expect to generate a nice little mini carving business if I can get it all done. My crypto is going in the wrong direction for now thus the need for go fund me. It's always a wild ride. :DOH:
Last edited by Sunny on August 23rd, 2018, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Choose life in all thngs
Sunny

Postby Sunny » August 23rd, 2018, 11:23 am

Jack, that's a great idea using old blue jeans. I'm thinking of having the business end sewed with elastic so that then any glove I wanted to use I could just poke through the elastic end and be ready to go. And warming up for Winter would be a snap, just put an extension cord light bulb into the cabinet and all would be toasty when ready to carve. Thanks for that. :RO:
Choose life in all thngs
Sunny

Postby Terry W » August 23rd, 2018, 11:53 am

Come on guys. Keep it simple.. :HAHA:

Old windbreaker jacket already has the elastic. Cut the sleeves off and use that. I have been using that on my cabinets for years. No gloves for me though. I don't usually blast my fingers. :S: Once was enough. hehe

If you get a thin one some dust may get through. If that happens just spray some waterproofing on it like the stuff for tents. :TU: Yes, that happened to me with the first one I did.
Terry
Terry W

Next

Return to Can we Talk !