• Advertisement

Just an update

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Just an update

Postby randypitcher » July 25th, 2018, 4:03 pm

Hey Everyone,

It's been awhile since I've looked at the site and longer since I posted anything.

The sandblasting business has been slow but steady for me. I've been getting one or two inquiries a week, but only one or two actual jobs every month. I'm not sure if people are scared off by my prices or something else. I still have to meet people somewhere like a convenience store since I'm still working out of my garage and my HOA frowns on business traffic.

I've made a few changes to my setup. I replaced the stock foot pedal with one from Glastar. I replaced the tungsten carbide nozzles that I've been using since I started with a boron carbide nozzle. I like the new nozzle a lot better. Well worth the price! And the big change is that I switched from aluminum oxide to silicon carbide. I like silicon carbide much better and I don't get zapped when I blast metal!!
Started researching, studying and reading in February 2010. First piece etched on March 11, 2011
CrystalBlast 3624 cabinet, Home Depot 3.2 h.p. air compressor, CorelDraw X5, ADP2400 Plotter
randypitcher

Re: Just an update

Postby Charles » July 25th, 2018, 6:03 pm

Thanks for the check in Randy, glad your still squirting some dirt
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby kuluchicken » July 25th, 2018, 6:31 pm

Hi Randy

It takes a while to get into the market. If I were you I wouldn't drop my prices. The kind of customer you're looking for is out there, they'll start coming, you just have to try to market more and be patient.
kuluchicken

Postby bernie » July 26th, 2018, 9:56 am

Hang in there. I find people complain all the time. They probably complained about how much dinner cost last night at the local restaurant. But they paid it anyway.
It really comes down to "do they want it". Don't drop pricing. Our equipment and material cost is expensive. Cover your basis and run it like a business.

I'd rather meet someone at their home vs a convenience store. HOA's can be a problem for someone running a business out of their garage. If you're discreet and
careful, you might get by with the occasional customer. Just be sure you have your garage door open so that is where they come into. That way they are not knocking
on your front door and alerting a noisy neighbor that you have a customer.

I use SC, because I don't appreciate the occasional zap from AO. My very first sandblast experience years ago was using AO. Enough said.
You will like this new nozzle.
bernie

Postby Kelly Harris » July 27th, 2018, 6:08 am

I agree, hang in there Randy! I would say that 99% of my sales are online purchases with 95% of those being shipped (not local). I don't like people coming to my home at all. Number 1 because I have to clean and number 2 because I find most people are inconsiderate when it comes to my time. I can probably count on one hand the people that actually showed up on time. Some are a 1/2 hour late and some have been up to 4 hours late (one person showing up at 10:00 at night). Some just "forget". Occasionally I have someone that wants to come by to discuss a stone and I let them know that I don't have a storefront and that all information is available on my website. I haven't had anyone that wasn't cool with that. Anyway, something to consider Randy. If you don't have a website then have a look on Etsy. The amount of sales that some of those shops have are insane!

I have yet to give SC a try. I get zapped all the time and I don't blast metal. Perhaps there's some part of me that enjoys the torture. :)
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Return to Can we Talk !