• Advertisement

Led lighting

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Led lighting

Postby Randall » May 22nd, 2017, 3:19 pm

Looked around a little before asking this question and did not find anything so my question how hot should Led lights get? I have used them before but these new RGB 5050s that I just received from amazon seem to me to be hotter than the ones I have used before. Jess you would be the best person to ask about this so any help would be appreciated. Off the buy some glass will check in later. Have a blessed day all.
Always Learning Artist
http://www.thesandcarver.com

Skype ID is Randall255
Randall

Re: Led lighting

Postby JESS » May 22nd, 2017, 4:06 pm

Randall-
I have buried LEDs in Epoxy resin, sandwiched between stone & glass, and never have had a heat problem. I have used 5050's, 2835's, 3015's, 3527's. 3528's, and 5630's with no problems.
You can always experiment by taping your LEDs securely to the edge of a glass sample, turn them on, & watch for a couple of days.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Randall » May 22nd, 2017, 4:19 pm

Thanks Jess. I have a glass piece that has the RGB 5050 leds and will test that out to see or feel if it does get warm or hot. I am using the water proof ones so that should help with the silicon coating.
Always Learning Artist

Skype ID is Randall255
Randall

Postby JESS » May 22nd, 2017, 5:24 pm

Randall-
Even with the Super brights, it's never been a problem. The heat generated by the LEDs is absorbed by all the surrounding materials, including the glass. It's OK to have one portion of the glass at a higher temperature than the rest of the glass. Unless there is a rapid thermal shock, there's no problem. Now, if you were to set up your piece and leave it lighted for a day, then throw ice water on it, there might be a problem. The kind of heat generated by our LEDs does not become a problem with regular soda-lime glass until you get into 3/4" + thicknesses.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Terry W » May 22nd, 2017, 6:16 pm

Jess you peaked my curiosity. Why would it be a problem on 3/4" glass and not thinner material. I would think the thicker would dissipate even more??? :dunno:
Terry
Terry W

Postby JESS » May 22nd, 2017, 7:36 pm

Terry-
Because of the thickness, heat will dissipate slower, as it travels through the glass, allowing the heat to increase in the center. On thinner glass, it dissipates more evenly and does not "soak" the center nearly as much. Because of the ever changing environment, heavy glass must be heat treated to use it in any architectural setting, because of the stress induced by the difference in temperature of the center of the glass and the outer surfaces. Clear as mud, eh?
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Terry W » May 23rd, 2017, 3:45 am

That makes sense.

Thank you Jess :ty:
Terry
Terry W

Postby Randall » May 23rd, 2017, 8:38 pm

Sounds good than I will leave in the leds on the carousel horse piece. Thanks Jesd
Always Learning Artist

Skype ID is Randall255
Randall

Return to Can we Talk !