• Advertisement

Stereotypes--(Blue)

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Stereotypes--(Blue)

Postby JECO1 » August 3rd, 2010, 8:56 pm

Folks-
First, I would like to let you know that I am not a Homophobic person, nor do I deny anyone the right to live as they wish. My father was a gay man, so I am quite lucky to be here. His life partner is STILL my Uncle,(86 years young), and I love him as I did my father. BUT--- Today, I had a LARGE, HEAVY piece of glass that I had to lay out and sandblast, and since I have many more of these coming up, I decided to hire a Temp to help me. I explained that I had no preference on gender, but the work would require serious strength. No problem! We'll have a man there at 8:00 AM, ready to go.

Folks, this thing that looked like a weasel in drag was sitting on my doorstep at 8:00 AM, ready for a days pay. I swear, he would make "Mogador" from the Birdcage look like Ahnold! We introduced ourselves, and invited "Donny" in while we opened the shop & got ready for work. While I was opening up, "Donny" was doing his nails. When I went to get him to help, he was reading a magazine, and asked me to wait a second while he finished his article. I was not happy. I walked him out to the shop where the glass was sitting on a dolly, he looked at it and said "Not a chance!" I explained that the whole thing weighed less than 400 pounds, and we only had to lift it a couple of times.
"Donny" looked somewhere about 8 inches over my left shoulder, and said- "Are you out of your F#@*ing mind?" Being a mature adult, I asked him to wait outside while I called and asked for a replacement. When I got the manager on the phone, I explained the situation, and asked him to send me a "HOMO-SAPIEN" next time! I'll bet he's still laughing, and he had a tree trunk standing at my door in 20 minutes! One of the nicest fellows I have met in a long time, and fully capable of handling his end of ANY piece of glass. His name is Marvin. He'll be back.
Sometimes, appearances are telling!
Jess
All types of flat glass work, hand beveling, sandblasting, Glass Distributor.
Visit us
HERE for more information
JECO1

Re: Stereotypes--(Blue)

Postby bernie » August 3rd, 2010, 9:43 pm

I have to admit ... I not only giggled all the way thru your post ... I am still laughing out loud!

Knowing about your dad and your uncle ... and knowing alternative life styles is not an issue with you, I wish
I had been taking a class from you today!!!!

I would have loved to have seen the look on your face when he asked you if you were out of your F#@*ing mind.

Excuse me for still chuckling ... I'll go to my room now!

Glad Marvin is working out.

Bernie
bernie

Postby Coppers Lot » August 4th, 2010, 1:08 am

How curious, my late uncle was a gay man (and an Actor!!) bit built like Marvin.
40lb pressure pot with inga mods, compressor,leaky cabinet thingy with syphon,letralite with red thingy,graphtec 3000-60 BRAND NEW = 1/8" PAB Gun and tips. Special Pressure Poy for Xmas.
http://www.worldofglasscraft.com
Coppers Lot

Postby Charles » August 4th, 2010, 6:29 am

What it boils down to is I dont care if they are purple as long as I can communicate with um , they dont stink and can do a reasonable days work!
However......if someone I am paying tells me am I out of my *&^%$ mind I would have "learned" um a few more 4 letter explenatives to suggest they clear off my property sooner then later!
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby Kelly Harris » August 4th, 2010, 6:45 am

That's too funny Jess, I would love to have been a fly on the wall that day!

Aren't temps fun, a company that I used to work for hired temps frequently during the busy season, if they worked out well we would hire them full time. But some of them I think were from outer space! We had one guy that would just stand there and literally chew on his nails all day long and another guy that wore rubber boots every day and would tell us many odd stories, one being about how the government was trying to rid some of the population by sending microwaves under the beds at the shelter where he stayed. Oh my!
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby Tom Kuhn » August 4th, 2010, 7:02 am

It amazes me that he even suggested that you wait until he finished his magazine article, while you're PAYING HIM.... The "work" ethics of today's younger generation amazes me...

Image   Software Engineer & Webmaster
Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Postby KBrownlee » August 4th, 2010, 7:51 am

Amazing...

Yep, I too would have been temped to learn him a few choice words about work....

Kerri in Arkansas
KBrownlee
2011 Flake-Of-The-Year Contest Winner
2011 Flake-Of-The-Year Contest Winner

Postby JECO1 » August 4th, 2010, 2:56 pm

Here's an update--
I got a call just before lunch regarding "Donny"! The guy is still laughing about it. Mine was not the first call, but the kindest. Seems Donny is the Receptionists son! The only job he has stayed at more than an hour was pushing a broom, and you don't want to hear what the manager thinks is the reason that one lasted that long. They now understand what sort of person I need when I call, and promise better service in the future. And, it turns out my hearing was at fault again, Myron ( not Marvin), will be first choice if it one of his work release days. Seems he's nearing the end of his sentence for Involuntary Man slaughter. I double checked, they are licensed AND bonded!
Man!
Jess
All types of flat glass work, hand beveling, sandblasting, Glass Distributor.
Visit us
HERE for more information
JECO1

Postby Charles » August 4th, 2010, 3:53 pm

Laughing about it, geeezzzzzzzzzzzz thier joke cost you 2 or 3 hours work at least.....I do believe I would dock what they bill you as a joke for having to mess with the jerk.
If they didnt like it I would find another temp agancy, I will bet there are more then on in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Suncity, Gilbert, Mesa........
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby JESS » August 4th, 2010, 3:58 pm

They didn't charge me for Donny, and gave me Myron for half price. Plenty of apologies - He was laughing about the "Homo-Sapien" remark, instead of Homosexual.
Besides, I've known the guy a long time.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Next

Return to Can we Talk !