• Advertisement

Kelly's Korner

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Kelly's Korner

Postby Terry W » March 4th, 2017, 10:02 am

Hey folks

I just want to put this out as I know how difficult it is trying to put together stuff for Kelly's Korner. I appreciate it very much and want to give a big thank you :TU: to Kelly. :ty:

How about some feedback folks? It's tough to know what to try and cover with out any input good or bad. What would folks like to try and cover? This is the time to speak up and give some direction.

Even the folks that have not joined in due to time restraints or what ever, how about some feedback as to why not. Lack of time, wrong time, already know everything, not interested, etc. It's very hard to improve the format without a little feedback. :dunno:

Thank you
Terry
Terry W

Re: Kelly's Korner

Postby bernie » March 4th, 2017, 3:32 pm

I think the informal format is awesome! Not like sitting in on a class where there is one instructor and one determined topic. It's nice to begin with a certain topic
in mind and then move forward to similar things that may or may not be related from there.

This works because of people participating. Not everyone participates, which is fine but those that do - have questions and / or answers. Sharing of how
people do things a certain way while others do it a different way is very helpful. No one knows it all.

Being a flexi-sign user for all these years, I've discovered that I have only really learned the easy stuff. Or what I have determined 'easy stuff'. I think its because it was the
only program I ever used or learned. Only Jess and I, that I know of have used flexi software. There has not been a group of people that I could find who use flexi that communicate
like this so I'm glad to be a part of Kelly's Korner and learn Corel Draw. This is going to be much easier and faster to learn because of conversing with a group of people
who are using the same program. And of course ... I have a lot of questions.
bernie

Postby JESS » March 4th, 2017, 6:07 pm

Bernie-
The most helpful reply, would be to ask questions. What would you want to learn? Yes, I understand, we don't know what we don't know, so that becomes a difficult question to answer, but it is THE question Kelly & Terry are asking. Each of the sessions I have sat in on, shared knowledge of techniques, which in turn created more questions, which led to even more techniques being explored. That's the beauty of Kelly's Korner! There is no fixed agenda, other than learning what YOU want to know, coupled with people who either know it, or are willing to experiment (in real time), to learn how to use the great software we have available to us. The people who wrote that software, regardless of which particular program we use, more than likely learned it through this very activity, someone asking how, and others helping figure it out.
Folks can take all kinds of classes, at many levels of expense, and not have access to all the variations Kelly's Korner supplies, simply because they are only learning one person's way of doing things.
This format costs nothing but time and thought, and is also a great social aid. Where else can you interact with people of your same interests without dealing with haters and keyboard quarterbacks? I'm very proud of the way this project is handled, though I have almost no sway in it's procedures.
I feel sorry for the folks that don't participate. They don't know what they are missing. Kelly's Korner may well be the best learning tool you could have, and is offered with no strings attached. Unheard of, in these days.
Kudos, Kelly-
With admiration-
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Sunny » March 4th, 2017, 10:32 pm

Kelly, my health keeps me from sand etching at the moment, severe arthritis. I could follow if I knew how to use skype or if I needed a camera which I do not have. I have been out of the work force for many years and have not had the occasion to use some of the tech. I'm am a living anachronism. Oh well....lol.
Choose life in all thngs
Sunny

Postby JESS » March 5th, 2017, 12:38 am

Sunny-
You do not need a camera to participate. Skype is very simple, and it would allow you to join in the fun. If you are too arthritic to do the actual work, there's no reason to ignore the mental stimulation that is there for the participation. You have shown already that you have a certain intellect, perhaps you could direct that intellect toward your own personal learning, while sharing your own knowledge with others. I have no doubt that you have much to share, in spite of what you see as a disability.

Yeah, you have expressed that your social skills have been slightly on the negative side, but so have mine, and many others. I urge you to participate. There is no one here who has the right to judge your views. If you are unable to do the actual work, that does not negate the knowledge that you might share. You might be surprised by something you mention off hand, that stimulates a spark in someone you have never met, and ends in them living their dream.
"I'm am a living anachronism. Oh well....lol."
Don't try to fool yourself, Your shared knowledge might be the difference that spurs the next superstar! Give it a try. You don't have to say a word, just watch the interaction. You will not regret the experience.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby kuluchicken » March 5th, 2017, 1:28 pm

Firstly, may I say that I've learnt so much from Kelly's Korner!!! Thanks Kelly and everyone else for the awesome input.

What I would like to learn is how to simplify images for cutting. Lets say for example one has three or four separate images that one overlaps to form a picture. I don't do a good job of simplifying it. I ended up recently just converting it to a raster image and then tracing it in desperation after spending hours trying to simplify it correctly so that no extra cutting lines are created.
kuluchicken

Postby Sunny » March 5th, 2017, 2:33 pm

JESS wrote:Sunny-
You do not need a camera to participate. Skype is very simple, and it would allow you to join in the fun. If you are too arthritic to do the actual work, there's no reason to ignore the mental stimulation that is there for the participation. You have shown already that you have a certain intellect, perhaps you could direct that intellect toward your own personal learning, while sharing your own knowledge with others. I have no doubt that you have much to share, in spite of what you see as a disability.

Yeah, you have expressed that your social skills have been slightly on the negative side, but so have mine, and many others. I urge you to participate. There is no one here who has the right to judge your views. If you are unable to do the actual work, that does not negate the knowledge that you might share. You might be surprised by something you mention off hand, that stimulates a spark in someone you have never met, and ends in them living their dream.
"I'm am a living anachronism. Oh well....lol."
Don't try to fool yourself, Your shared knowledge might be the difference that spurs the next superstar! Give it a try. You don't have to say a word, just watch the interaction. You will not regret the experience.
Jess

Sounds good to me Jess. How do I use Skype and how do I connect to Kelly? Thanks.
Choose life in all thngs
Sunny

Postby Sunny » March 5th, 2017, 3:01 pm

That which I have always been interested in is mini blasting. Example: Deep carving an image into a small crystal such as a chandelier crystal, or perhaps a number of images on a crystal christmas ornament. Or, perhaps into a small stone. I know how to create a vector for cutting in Corel 5 for stone, and I do have photo resist capabilities for crystal. Since I can no longer navigate the stairs I'm thinking of acquiring a Vaniman micro abrasive sand blaster http://www.vaniman.com/dental-micro-abr ... -blasters/ and with a super quiet compressor and external exaust, I can continue to work on the main level of my home. I do have a couple of things I am not using that I could sell to cover the costs. Anyway, I'm trying not to be a trailblazer and would appreciate any guidance with regard to either equipment or methods. Mini blasting, especially in glass, seems to be an area with not much literature available. Of course, I'm also interested in other aspects of sand blasting and carving as well. Just thinking out loud.... :idea:
Choose life in all thngs
Sunny

Postby Terry W » March 5th, 2017, 3:27 pm

Hey Sunny

Skype, go to the skype website and download and install the latest version. Then set up with username. Send the username to kelly via pm and she can add you to the list. When the time comes she sends a link to join in. That's it. You just need a mic to talk. I don't have a camera either so no big deal. You can view Kelly's screen when shared or other members that are showing things.

Most definitely ask questions. There may be easy or easier ways to accomplish what your trying to figure out and that just helps everyone.

As for the blasting question, would you mind starting another thread so this one doesn't get sidetracked...

Thanks very much and looking forward to KK and thanks for the input:TU:
Terry
Terry W

Postby Sunny » March 5th, 2017, 11:17 pm

Thanks for the info regarding Skype Terry. I will do so. With respect to beginning another thread, yes to that too. I thought I was responding to Kelly's request, but see now I misunderstood. Thanks.
Choose life in all thngs
Sunny

Next

Return to Can we Talk !